Darn Lithiums

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

SilkyHotLicks
Carvinite
Carvinite

Darn Lithiums

Postby SilkyHotLicks » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:30 pm

Okay. Perhaps I overreacted in both extremes.

1.) I had only played them for 10 minutes before I dismissed them as fugazi.
2.) I then chickened out and deleted the post.

The truth is I don't like them. But I have to say that for the 4 or 5 songs that I've written for a specific genre they do sound good, almost radio-ready.
Last edited by SilkyHotLicks on Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Darn Lithiums

Postby gumbynotpokey » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:56 pm

Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:26 am

You shouldn't have deleted it.. we all can handl--

Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:29 am

That's such a classic gif. Just as an honorable mention, and becauth the ingredienth of juithe should never remain clathified:
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:36 am

ROFL over here!!!

And darn... I kinda wanted to talk about Lithiums...
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

SilkyHotLicks
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby SilkyHotLicks » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:12 am

Wow, I feel like an old fuddy-duddy. Now that I've had a couple if days of solid rehearsals using my new C7X with Lithium pickups I must say that I like them. The Lithiums sound great, responds well to tone knob adjustments and adds a contemporary freshness to some of the music that I play.

While my C66 with C22's really captures my musical essence and is my favorite guitar I can guarantee that I will be writing music that takes advantage of the Lithiums. 8)

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:19 pm

SilkyHotLicks wrote:Wow, I feel like an old fuddy-duddy. Now that I've had a couple if days of solid rehearsals using my new C7X with Lithium pickups I must say that I like them. The Lithiums sound great, responds well to tone knob adjustments and adds a contemporary freshness to some of the music that I play.

While my C66 with C22's really captures my musical essence and is my favorite guitar I can guarantee that I will be writing music that takes advantage of the Lithiums. 8)

They are a different animal. But there are things I really like them for.
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100

Jack'O'Licious
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:23 am

Oh my goodness. You guys have no idea how bad I wish we had a like button for posts LMAO.
2017 DCM8
2016 A7H

TL60 Dude
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby TL60 Dude » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:10 pm

So Lithiums bring the Juitthh or no?

I vote yes!
2015 SCB6M WW, BC, 404, PSN, SL
2013 Bolt Plus Ash1, TR, RW, S22s,
2007 TL60 133, B, MP, TN
2004 TL60t FTS, BB, 127, AB, TN, MAH, FPH, 402
MTS 3212 BR12's
Vintage 16 Celestion V30

tg1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tg1 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:25 am

Is anyone else having feedback problems with their Lithiums? I've got 3 guitars with them (two Kiesel's and one DIY guitar), and especially my SCB6 is having pretty bad feedback problems when playing at band volume. So bad in fact, that standing anywhere in front of my amp is pretty much hopeless. This is not an issue with any other pickups/guitars I have tried.

I don't dislike the sound in them, but the feedback problem is kind of an annoyance for me..

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:24 am

tg1 wrote:Is anyone else having feedback problems with their Lithiums? I've got 3 guitars with them (two Kiesel's and one DIY guitar), and especially my SCB6 is having pretty bad feedback problems when playing at band volume. So bad in fact, that standing anywhere in front of my amp is pretty much hopeless. This is not an issue with any other pickups/guitars I have tried.

I don't dislike the sound in them, but the feedback problem is kind of an annoyance for me..

If you yell into it can you hear your voice through the amp?
If yes, it's gone microphonic and needs to be re-potted.
I've had to re-pot of couple of Carvin pickups in my day (M22T, C22B).
Fortunately its easy.

tg1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tg1 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:50 am

ElfDude wrote:If you yell into it can you hear your voice through the amp?
Fortunately its easy.

I've thought of doing it, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Wouldn't think re-potting would be necessery after less than a year, but whatever it takes I guess.. :)

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:41 am

If it is microphonic and less than a year old I would call them. They should send you a new one.
Back in the pre Jeff days they would send me a new one no matter how old it was. Not sure now. Things have changed.

tg1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tg1 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:26 am

texastoast wrote:If it is microphonic and less than a year old I would call them. They should send you a new one.
Back in the pre Jeff days they would send me a new one no matter how old it was. Not sure now. Things have changed.

I'll try to capture any microphonic tendencies on my DAW, and contact them if it turns out to be microphonic. :)

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:39 am

Each tool has its use. Glad you're getting some enjoyment out of them. As for a passive design, they're not bad, and I'll chime in saying not my favorite, either. I'd still take them above most other brands, and wouldn't cry about a guitar that had them as stock.

As for the feedback mentioned; mine certainly never did that, though both neck and bridge (especially the latter) were quite capable of pinch harmonics, and I can see how that specific EQing might not play well with an amp's EQing at louder volumes. Standing in front of an amp, however, is always grounds for getting feedback on the stage.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

tg1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby tg1 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:20 am

ElfDude wrote:
tg1 wrote:Is anyone else having feedback problems with their Lithiums? I've got 3 guitars with them (two Kiesel's and one DIY guitar), and especially my SCB6 is having pretty bad feedback problems when playing at band volume. So bad in fact, that standing anywhere in front of my amp is pretty much hopeless. This is not an issue with any other pickups/guitars I have tried.

Fortunately its easy.

I've tested a bit with my DAW, and I can just barely hear myself yelling. :lol: But, when tapping on the pickups, body, neck or headstock, it gets picked up like crazy.
However, when comparing with my other guitars, it doesn't seem to be significantly worse than them..

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:29 am

tg1 wrote:
ElfDude wrote:

Fortunately its easy.

I've tested a bit with my DAW, and I can just barely hear myself yelling. :lol: But, when tapping on the pickups, body, neck or headstock, it gets picked up like crazy.
However, when comparing with my other guitars, it doesn't seem to be significantly worse than them..

Still sounds like a microphonics problem to me. If it's less than 5 years old, I'd take the suggestion above and call about a warranty replacement.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars