Specs similar to an Ibby

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

burtallica

Specs similar to an Ibby

Postby burtallica » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:17 pm

I'm new to Kiesel and trying to spec out a Vader that's very similar to an Ibanez RG652AHM-AWD (the antique white one). Do you think these specs would give me something close in appearance?

V6
Maple Neck/Swamp Ash body
Swamp Ash Top
Deep Natural Top Wood Body Binding (This might not be needed but thought it would give it a similar bound look to the Ibby)
3 Piece Body
Clear Gloss Finish - Trans white
Rear Natural Clear
5-Piece Maple Neck w/ 2 Walnut Stripes
Thinner Neck Profile
Tung Oil Finish Back Of Neck
Birdseye Maple Fingerboard

Anything else I'm missing? Appreciate your input!

HarlowTheFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Specs similar to an Ibby

Postby HarlowTheFish » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:13 pm

That looks about right, actually! I'm not sure how the Vader's "top" works, but if it's like the Aries or the other beveled models, you might not even need the natural binding. I'd personally add a tung oil or satin neck to that (satin would be more accurate to Ibby specs, tung would be more awesome though imo).

burtallica

Postby burtallica » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:49 am

HarlowTheFish wrote:That looks about right, actually! I'm not sure how the Vader's "top" works, but if it's like the Aries or the other beveled models, you might not even need the natural binding. I'd personally add a tung oil or satin neck to that (satin would be more accurate to Ibby specs, tung would be more awesome though imo).

Thanks!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:08 am

Be careful with the word "deep". If you aren't getting a stained top, they will have to tape off the edge of the top to apply the "deep" finish, and i think that will make it look...i don't know..."dirty" compared to the rest.

Personally, I would let the white top finish wrap over the edges of the ash top, and stop at the black line of the 3PB, then the RNC.

burtallica

Postby burtallica » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:08 am

spudmunkey wrote:Be careful with the word "deep". If you aren't getting a stained top, they will have to tape off the edge of the top to apply the "deep" finish, and i think that will make it look...i don't know..."dirty" compared to the rest.

Personally, I would let the white top finish wrap over the edges of the ash top, and stop at the black line of the 3PB, then the RNC.

Oh, good point. I didn't think about that but you're right, the black line would serve as a good border between the color and natural much better. Thanks!

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:20 am

FWIW = - You can get the RNC with the Vader without a separate top - if you were looking to save some bucks.
The look is a little different but not much. The paint would just be a flat top, without wrapping over the edge.

On other models (SCB) it looks a little too funky for my tastes.

received_10212764880263113.jpeg
received_10212764876023007.jpeg

The 3 piece body thing is going to be a winner though!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

HarlowTheFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:49 pm

arahobob wrote:FWIW = - You can get the RNC with the Vader without a separate top - if you were looking to save some bucks.
The look is a little different but not much. The paint would just be a flat top, without wrapping over the edge.

On other models (SCB) it looks a little too funky for my tastes.

The 3 piece body thing is going to be a winner though!

This. . . is. . . so niiiiiiiiice. . .

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars