Top Side Beveling on AB4/AB5/AB6

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Spiritus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Top Side Beveling on AB4/AB5/AB6

Postby Spiritus » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:10 pm

Can any of you AB4/AB5/AB6 owners attest to the top side beveling on an Aries bass providing a significant amount of added comfort to the playing arm? In considering an AB4 build, I'm presently inclined to go with the Delete Beveling (BVD) option and want to know if I would be missing out on something special by doing so.

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Top Side Beveling on AB4/AB5/AB6

Postby brento73 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:48 pm

I don't have an Aries, but a friend just got a Zeus 6 string bass, which has a similar bevel, and it's super comfortable. I would expect that if you're used to playing other basses with a flatter top, you will be fine either way, but I do think it's nice.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:17 pm

I have an Aries guitar (not a bass). While I can't speak to the basses specifically, I can add two undenyable truths:

1. With the Bevel Delete option, you not only trade the unique beveled forearm contour for a bent-wood "drop top" style contour, but you also lose the extra "scoop" in the upper-fret-access area. This isn't a huge deal for me.

2. With the drop-top-style forearm contour, it's sloped in one direction, and it has a finite width...it doesn't run up the whole side of the body. Depending on how you hold your bass when you play, your arm might completely miss the forearm slope. The Aries will have the carved bevel running up the entire side of the body.

An example of someone who would seemingly benefit from a bevel:

And with the bevel delete option, the body edges are also more crisp...more "squared off" than any of Kiesel's other basses, except for the recently retired Xcellerator. This is no different than seemingly 90% of the non-stratocaster guitars on the market, though, and Ibanez RG guitars seem to sell juuuust fine with the similar body top edge, along with most Les Pauls, just about any guitar with binding, etc.

Last thing: if you are planning to get a top wood, the beveled and non-beveled versions will look quite different from each other (some love it, some hate it). Just wanted to throw that out there.

amispy
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby amispy » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:36 pm

I got my AB5 with bevel delete because I didn't want to lose any of the spalted top wood. I love the look, however, the side is definitely sharper than my other Kiesels. It's not so bad when I'm standing and playing. But if I'm sitting down practicing, I end up with a red mark on my forearm from resting on the side.

AB5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'86 DC200, '87 V220T, '90 LB75, '96 AE185, '05 C750T, '07 V220M, '14 V59K, '14 DC7X x2, '15 PB5, '17 A6H, '17 AB5, '17 V59K, '17 KV6X, '18 JH6, '18 A6H

Spiritus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Spiritus » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:07 pm

amispy wrote:I got my AB5 with bevel delete because I didn't want to lose any of the spalted top wood. ...

I hadn't taken that into account. And the wilder spalting (is that a word?) on your AB5 is right where the majority of beveling would have been. Definitely the right call for that build. Though perhaps the shop would have used a different piece of wood if you hadn't opted to delete the beveling? The bass speaks "art," but even more so, "I'm here to do business," eh?
Last edited by Spiritus on Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spiritus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Spiritus » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:26 pm

spudmunkey wrote:I have an Aries guitar (not a bass). ...

Are you implying that your guitar has the beveling? If so, are you glad it does?

And speaking of Fender thumpers (like in that pic), in listening to a couple manufacturer demos of current Fender Precision and Jazz models in comparison to demos of a Kiesel PB4 and AB5, well, it's clear that Kiesel pickups are superior in tone. Even so, there may be those who actually prefer the tone of something from the distant past (like in that pic).

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:47 pm

Spiritus wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:I have an Aries guitar (not a bass). ...

Are you implying that your guitar has the beveling? If so, are you glad it does?

Ah, yes. I should have been more clear.

For the way I hold a guitar when I play, the beveled body made more sense than the "bevel delete" version. And since I didn't order a top, I preferred the beveled look. With tops, I think about 2 or 3 out of 10 builds with bevels look good enough to actually "like". Most I dislike or are just "meh" on... but that's personal taste.

Spiritus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Spiritus » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:50 am

spudmunkey wrote:... ... since I didn't order a top, I preferred the beveled look. ...

What shade of red is that?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:05 am

Spiritus wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:... ... since I didn't order a top, I preferred the beveled look. ...

What shade of red is that?

This is the wine red, over the top of the antique ash treatment. However, I have to say that in this photo, there are several thousand lumens of photo studio lights shining directly on it. In normal everyday lighting, it's much darker.

rjqSMLT.jpg

YgzDnn5.jpg

GPznGMb.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Spiritus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Spiritus » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:53 pm

spudmunkey wrote:
Spiritus wrote: What shade of red is that?

This is the wine red, over the top of the antique ash treatment. However, I have to say that in this photo, there are several thousand lumens of photo studio lights shining directly on it. In normal everyday lighting, it's much darker.

From that end view, it looks antique-ish, though obviously in mint condition. Nice to have a guitar that gives different looks relative to lighting.

Spiritus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Spiritus » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:55 pm

What do you have for pickups on that build?

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses