Looking for some wiring help. . .

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

HarlowTheFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Looking for some wiring help. . .

Postby HarlowTheFish » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:50 am

So my apartment has some serious issues with hum, which my CL6's coil splits aren't very fond of, so I've been trying to figure out this wiring scheme:

Neck, Neck & Bridge Outer Coils, Bridge; on a 4pdt 3-way mini toggle as the main pickup selector

Neck & Bridge Series or Parallel; on a separate 4pdt 2-way mini toggle

I guess this Dimarzio diagram http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/diagrams/2h1v1PPt_&_ep1111splitB.pdf would be the place to start, but how would I go about wiring the series/parallel switch (I'm using the 4pdt as two DPDTs to switch both pickups at the same time) before the 3-way?

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Looking for some wiring help. . .

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:08 pm

Why not set up the guitar like a DC 135? One mini toggle per pickup.

I've done it with DPDT 3 way toggles, center off. Up position was series coils. Down position was parallel coils. I used a push pull DPDT pot to coil tap each humbucker. It worked perfectly, and I had way more switching options that way. The only combined option was both pickups split. Couldn't do them individually, unless I wired up another push pull switch for tone control.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

HarlowTheFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:12 pm

I just don't need all the options - I'm actually gonna rewire my Ibby from a 5-way to a 3-way. I like the parallel sounds as a sort of lower gear to the series humbucker, and I never really use both pickups without a split. This just simplifies it for me.

Edit: if this is one switch to parallel each pickup, I only have two switch holes and don't want to add more.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:27 am

Only takes one switch per pickup, so a two pickup model works fine.

Has to be a center off DPDT 3 way switch. Using a push pull pot will allow for anything else you like. I like some parallel coil sounds, too, which is why I had swapped in a new circuit for my 135. 3 holes for mini switches and two holes for volume and tone were what I had, and I didn't want to add more holes.

You wouldn't need the blade switch at all, as the mini toggles would be turning the pickups on or off individually.

HarlowTheFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:15 am

I don't have a blade switch on the CL, actually. The CL6 is volume, tone, and two mini toggles: one is a pickup selector, one is a coil split. I've found switches with the appropriate number of poles and stuff, I just don't know how I'd go about wiring it. If I'm understanding right this is like a series/off/parallel switch for each pickup, yeah? That wouldn't really work for me.
The blade switch is for another guitar entirely, where I'm doing a similar setup.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:27 pm

For the CL6, it would work like you're thinking with the toggles, and then if you use a push/pull pot for each volume and tone, you can have individual coil splitting, as well, or even do a combined coil split (say on the volume push/pull) as well as polarity on the rear. It'd be a funky wiring job, but it'd work.

Return to Tech Talk