Electronics Wiring and Switching Questions (New Builds)

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Sentinel

Electronics Wiring and Switching Questions (New Builds)

Postby Sentinel » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:44 pm

Hi, this is my first post here. After many years of admiring Carvin, and now Kiesel guitars, I have finally gotten to a place where I can order one, or make that two. Which is exactly what I plan to do. I'm a bit hung up on the electronics aspect of the builds right now, and I'm hoping for some guidance and suggestions here.

These guitars will have an HSS configuration, with a 5-Way Switch, one Volume Control/Pot, and that's all. So no Tone Control/Pot whatsoever.

5-Way Switch wired for these Positions,
1 Bridge Humbucker
2 Split-Bridge + Middle Single Coil
3 Middle Single Coil
4 Middle + Neck Single Coils
5 Neck Single Coil

One Volume Control shared among all three pickups
w/Treble Saver Volume Control Mod.

Will a "Super Switch" be required for this circuit?

Will not having any Tone Pot in the circuit create any frequency issues, and if so, how can they be addressed?

HarlowTheFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Electronics Wiring and Switching Questions (New Builds)

Postby HarlowTheFish » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:44 pm

Seems so. Dimarzio's got a diagram for that if you wanna take a look: http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/diagrams/1h2s_ep1112_1pptaddneck.pdf

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:09 am

As far as the HSS 5way wiring, I think Kiesel wires it up that way by default, usually - to auto-tap the neck / bridge when combined with the middle. But you could convey that when you call to be sure.
They just wire up 1 side of the 5way for the normal 5 positions, and use the "side B" to tap each p/up when combined with the middle. Its either both HBs tapped to top coil or bottom, whichever cancels hum with the Mid single.
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:17 am

I had my ST300 wired so position 3 activated all three inner coils on an HSH setup (middle PU reverse-wound). That was a great sound, so much HONK.

Sentinel

Postby Sentinel » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:08 am

wickid wrote:
As far as the HSS 5way wiring, I think Kiesel wires it up that way by default, usually - to auto-tap the neck / bridge when combined with the middle. But you could convey that when you call to be sure.
They just wire up 1 side of the 5way for the normal 5 positions, and use the "side B" to tap each p/up when combined with the middle. Its either both HBs tapped to top coil or bottom, whichever cancels hum with the Mid single.

I'm dealing with Mike via email. He didn't know, so he said to check back when their lead tech gets back in the office. That was last week, and he should be back by now. I'll try asking again and get this cleared up, thanks. Beautiful guitars in your list there!

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:53 pm

That sort of switching is something Ibanez has done with a standard 5 way blade on their S series guitars in HSH config, so an HSS is even simpler. No super-switch required for sure.

Personally, I like a tone control with bypass switching, for those times when I want less load on the pickups, otherwise having a tone control on the instrument is quite handy. I often wire mine (with a push/pull pot switch) to be bypassed with the switch down, and pull up to activate. The reasoning is that it's easier to do that quickly than try to pull up on a knob when split seconds count. But...that's my diatribe. i always suggest tone pots :P

I'm unsure how the factory does it, but emailing may be slow; calling them is probably the best bet.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

HarlowTheFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:25 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:That sort of switching is something Ibanez has done with a standard 5 way blade on their S series guitars in HSH config, so an HSS is even simpler. No super-switch required for sure.

Personally, I like a tone control with bypass switching, for those times when I want less load on the pickups, otherwise having a tone control on the instrument is quite handy. I often wire mine (with a push/pull pot switch) to be bypassed with the switch down, and pull up to activate. The reasoning is that it's easier to do that quickly than try to pull up on a knob when split seconds count. But...that's my diatribe. i always suggest tone pots :P

I'm unsure how the factory does it, but emailing may be slow; calling them is probably the best bet.

Have you tried some of those no-load pots that click off? They have a 1-9 sweep, and click off at 10 so they're both secure and out of the circuit.

Sentinel

Postby Sentinel » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:46 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:
UnexplodedCow wrote:That sort of switching is something Ibanez has done with a standard 5 way blade on their S series guitars in HSH config, so an HSS is even simpler. No super-switch required for sure.

Have you tried some of those no-load pots that click off? They have a 1-9 sweep, and click off at 10 so they're both secure and out of the circuit.

That's a very good suggestion. I've just been figuring that since I've never really used a tone control, why have one. But having a no-load, at least I'd have the option there. I'll think on this a bit, thanks.

Sentinel

Postby Sentinel » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:48 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm definitely reconsidering things after reading yours and HarlowTheFish's replies.

HarlowTheFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:37 pm

Sentinel wrote:That's a very good suggestion. I've just been figuring that since I've never really used a tone control, why have one. But having a no-load, at least I'd have the option there. I'll think on this a bit, thanks.

I honestly almost never use mine either, but every time I've been without a guitar with a tone control I've wanted that really muted tone-all-the-way-off lead, so I'm trying to be smart and move the tone as far from my hand as I can so I stop hitting it accidentally.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:49 am

HarlowTheFish wrote:Have you tried some of those no-load pots that click off? They have a 1-9 sweep, and click off at 10 so they're both secure and out of the circuit.

I've tried them, and made my own as well, but never liked the behavior. Sometimes I like the very slight loading that having a full up tone pot provides, and then switching it off for that "extra."
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

HarlowTheFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:25 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:
HarlowTheFish wrote:Have you tried some of those no-load pots that click off? They have a 1-9 sweep, and click off at 10 so they're both secure and out of the circuit.

I've tried them, and made my own as well, but never liked the behavior. Sometimes I like the very slight loading that having a full up tone pot provides, and then switching it off for that "extra."

No yeah of course, that's why I suggested the clicky ones. There's a detent at the end, so you can do pot all the way up as normal or click it off at the end. Less fiddling than a push-pull for me.

Return to Tech Talk