White Limba with Maple Top - Tone

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Sentinel

White Limba with Maple Top - Tone

Postby Sentinel » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:38 am

Does anyone have this combo of White Limba with Maple Top? If so, how do you like the tone of this combo, and can you describe it and compare to other guitar woods combinations you're familiar with from a tone perspective?

I'm having two identical Osiris 6 fixed bridge builds done very soon for this, and the neck woods will likely be maple with rosewood fingerboard. Also considering Black Limba as an alternate for the neck.

I was considering going with either Alder with a Maple Top or just Alder without a top. I've been thinking Alder with a Maple Top may be to bright for my taste, but I want a Quilted Maple Top so I can have a beautiful patterned translucent finish. Which for me is a big part of what ordering such a custom guitar is about. This led me to now consider going with a White Limba Maple Top combo, since from what I gather, White Limba wouldn't be as bright as Alder, but am I correct in this?

maxpower
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: White Limba with Maple Top - Tone

Postby maxpower » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:52 am

My CL7 is a flame maple top over a white limba body. The CL7 is a set thru neck design and mine has Lithium pickups in it.

I really can't comment on the how the individual components affect the tone given it is the only guitar I have in this configuration.

Comparing it to my CT4M (mahogany body, set neck with C22s), the neck pickup of the CL7 has a lot less high end and is very fat sounding. Sounds like I rolled off the highs with the tone knob. On the bridge setting, the CL7 is a bit brighter than the CT4M

I know that was not a great deal of information but it is difficult for me to compare.

If it matter, I like the way my guitars sound. They are each different to me when I am playing them. I can't tell as much once I record them lol.
CT4M, DC127, Bolt (kit), CL7

X1Glider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby X1Glider » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:12 pm

I wouldn't sweat the wood choices too much. When not plugged in, I can honestly say that my 1/4" maple top guitars sound thin compared to my guitars that are alder or mahogany bodied which are fuller and more resonant overall. Even the walnut neck thru sounds thin with the maple top. Plugged in, depending on the pickups, that could still hold true. However there's a thousand or so choices for pickups that will give you the tone you want regardless of your wood choices. The pickups that will come with your Osiris builds, IMO, are a baseline. If you like it, great. If not, you will know what direction you need to go. There's a pickup out there that will solve you tone problem.

We're lucky in this day and age that there are so many choices. Back in 1980 when I got my first electric, there were pickup alternatives around but maybe only 4 humbuckers from Dimarzio and from Seymour D, about 4 of them, even just 4 from each other company.

Sentinel

Postby Sentinel » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:37 pm

Thanks for your help everyone, I appreciate it!
Last edited by Sentinel on Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:39 pm

Sentinel wrote:Thanks for your everyone, I appreciate it!

I have a white limba /no top scb6.
M22 pups.

Sounds killer.

Go for it!
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

Sentinel

Postby Sentinel » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:48 pm

arahobob wrote:

M22 pups.

Sounds killer.

Go for it!

OK, thanks for sharing that. Funny coincidence, but right before seeing your post here, I had just decided I'm going for a white limba body with "no top", and a white limba neck as well. Now it just comes down to color/finish. I plan to order two identical guitars, only differing in bridge pickup choice and color/finish, nothing else. I'm really wanting to go with a translucent finish, I love those. Right now I'm seriously considering going with Blueburst on one, and Purpleburst on the other. Unfortunately, it looks like everyone that gets a white limba body either puts a top on it, has it done in a solid color, or if translucent it's always amber or some classic burst, so I have no examples of what white limba may look like with another translucent color. I just started a new thread on that topic.

http://www.kieselguitarsbbs.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50659

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:09 am

You really can't go wrong with it. Korina sounds a lot like mahog, but a little wider on the mids. They're some of the most "fat" sounding guitars out there.

I co-sign X1 Glider's statement about maple-topped guitars vs slabbed mahog or alder etc guitars. All of my slab/flat top axes (one koa, one Honduran mahog, two are birch) are louder acoustically and have striking sustain. They feed into their pickups a much more woody identity and you feel the whole axe vibrating from end to end when playing. The heavier, maple top guitars are great guitars for sure, but they are not as loud and resonant when played unplugged and they take their sound as much from the bridge and pups as they do from the body wood (mahog under the maple top). They don't vibrate anywhere near as much as the flat tops.

The upside to that is they're somewhat more versatile: their sound is not so dominant and acoustically individual in a single direction, so they can wear different hats (especially with humbuckers vs P90's). They're great lead guitars, rhythm guitars, great for punk, jazz, fusion, and on and on.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Sentinel

Postby Sentinel » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:32 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:You really can't go wrong with it. Korina sounds a lot like mahog, but a little wider on the mids. They're some of the most "fat" sounding guitars out there.

I co-sign X1 Glider's statement about maple-topped guitars vs slabbed mahog or alder etc guitars. All of my slab/flat top axes (one koa, one Honduran mahog, two are birch) are louder acoustically and have striking sustain. They feed into their pickups a much more woody identity and you feel the whole axe vibrating from end to end when playing. The heavier, maple top guitars are great guitars for sure, but they are not as loud and resonant when played unplugged and they take their sound as much from the bridge and pups as they do from the body wood (mahog under the maple top). They don't vibrate anywhere near as much as the flat tops.

The upside to that is they're somewhat more versatile: their sound is not so dominant and acoustically individual in a single direction, so they can wear different hats (especially with humbuckers vs P90's). They're great lead guitars, rhythm guitars, great for punk, jazz, fusion, and on and on.

Years ago I got to strum a white limba guitar a bit at a guitar store. Your description matches my experience there perfectly now that I remember it. It was really striking and unique in that way. I've never heard or felt anything like that from any other guitar wood. Yes, "very" acoustic and resonant are great descriptors. Between that one brief experience and all the great things I've heard and read of it, I'm very excited to finally own some guitars made from it. I also decided against gong for a multi-ply neck, and am instead going with a solid white limba neck instead to keep that awesome tone and vibe going through and through.

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:32 pm

Sentinel wrote:
arahobob wrote:

M22 pups.

Sounds killer.

Go for it!

OK, thanks for sharing that. Funny coincidence, but right before seeing your post here, I had just decided I'm going for a white limba body with "no top", and a white limba neck as well. Now it just comes down to color/finish. I plan to order two identical guitars, only differing in bridge pickup choice and color/finish, nothing else. I'm really wanting to go with a translucent finish, I love those. Right now I'm seriously considering going with Blueburst on one, and Purpleburst on the other. Unfortunately, it looks like everyone that gets a white limba body either puts a top on it, has it done in a solid color, or if translucent it's always amber or some classic burst, so I have no examples of what white limba may look like with another translucent color. I just started a new thread on that topic.

http://www.kieselguitarsbbs.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50659

Unfortunately I am one of those guys who went with the classic burst on my limba guitar!!! :laughhard:
I always loved Kiesel's Tobacco Burst, and I couldn't be happier with the way it came out.
You can click the link in my signature to see photos if you like.

As a side note, some sort of trans green was also in the running.
This could help - Here's one members trans moss green over white limba -
viewtopic.php?t=47420
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars