Kiesel Enthusiast Greg Barnett...

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Sailor Mike

Kiesel Enthusiast Greg Barnett...

Postby Sailor Mike » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:14 pm

It is with a great sadness that I announce the death of my brother Greg Barnett, serious Kiesel enthusiast, collector, and excellent musician. Greg, who commissioned, among many other Kiesels, the 7 string fretless Vader "Mystique", died of complications from cancer on August 12th. If you are so inclined, feel free to play something seriously hard in his memory.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Kiesel Enthusiast Greg Barnett...

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:23 pm

Oh my...

My sincerest condolences to all those who knew him, here and beyond the BBS.

:( .. :rockon: :(

JCG
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby JCG » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:55 pm

Sorry for your loss.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Doug » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:34 pm

Terrible news.
Stay strong.
facebook.com/hamfistrocks

ChrisH
Kiesel Guitars Sales
Kiesel Guitars Sales

Postby ChrisH » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:19 pm

I just got the news from Mike. Terribly sorry for your loss, my condolences to you and your family. Greg was always super nice and always great to talk to. I think the last build we did together was a DC600 with custom controls a while back. He was also in on our Vader run which was a huge milestone for the company. Guys like Greg are the reason why we are where we're at today with the dedication, support, and word of mouth promotion. Always took time to tell people about us and post pics of his guitars whenever he could, especially the famous KE that he ordered.

I remember when he was trying to put together the build for what would eventually become Mystique, he got so many no's from both Mike and I because a lot of what he was asking for just wasn't in the cards or just wasn't something that we normally did. Some of it was just downright off the wall for us at the time with stuff we didn't think was possible but he remained persistent and steadfast with his vision. He knew what he wanted and I'm glad he persisted at making his vision come to life. At some point during our conversations about this potential build it got to where I told him that he had to talk to Jeff about this guitar because most of what he wanted wasn't something I could help him with and that this was all something that only Jeff and the Kiesel Edition build would probably accommodate and even that was potentially a stretch. We thought it would be a flat out no from Jeff because Greg wanted to send in his own pale moon, do some crazy colors, do some stuff with the wood layers on the body and how they would interact with the 5 piece neck, etc. To our surprise Jeff said yes and after a bit of a wait to clear the KE waitlist they got to figuring out what could and couldn't be done.

The pale moon I think was very thin and it warped on its way here so we had to do what we could to make it workable as a top and back wood. The entire time I kept getting surprised by what we were able to do on his build as it was going through the process. While they had to revise the original vision a few times, as you've all seen the final product was definitely something out of this world and I think it is one of the craziest builds we have ever done and probably will ever do which says a lot considering what we put out on a daily basis.

While I can't speak for the company regarding this I personally feel that his build was one of the ones that helped us to some degree in not only helping other people see what you could potentially do with Kiesel but also helped pushing the boundaries on what we ourselves as a company thought we could do for builds.

He will be missed for sure, I hope he's rocking out and having a good old time wherever he is now.
Chris Hong
Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars
Chris@KieselGuitars.com
https://www.facebook.com/chris.hong.9216
(P) 858.GUITARS
(858.484.8277)

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:37 pm

will miss him here....very sorry for your loss

i made a product suggestion back then that preset packages of amazing combos should be available, and i used this axe as the example

peace
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:25 pm

So sorry to hear about this. :(
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:19 am

Really sad. I had limited interaction with him but one of the things that kept me interested in hearing from him was his unique voice, he was one of the rare guys that posted that was interested (and pretty sure it was him) in fretless electric guitar, which is as unique as it comes. And of course his unforgettably beautiful guitars.

I recall him mentioning there was some health issues that he was going thru at least a year or more back. I can only say I hope he didn't suffer much, and I wish peace on your family. I'm really sorry for the loss and thanks for creating this thread.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:16 pm

Oh man I am so sorry to hear this news. Thank you for taking the time to let us know. Greg had a great vision of what he wanted in that build and I am glad Jeff and team Kiesel were able help him bring it to fruition. I hope it brought him joy.
dbones Lefties
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

Return to The Backstage Lounge