Translucent Finish on White Limba Body

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Sentinel

Translucent Finish on White Limba Body

Postby Sentinel » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:06 pm

I've decided I'm going for a White Limba body and neck for my two Osiris 06 builds. The only real question left to answer before I can order them is what finish/colors I want. I really love translucent finishes, so that's what I'd like to go with on each, and a different color for each, with Balckburst edges. My favorite translucent colors are Blue, Purple, and Red. What's making this decision so much more difficult is the fact that every pic of a White Limba body I've seen either has an amber/yellowish tint, some classic burst colors, or some other wood on top. So I've seen no Blue, Purple, or Red, which leaves me with no examples at all to go by.

Does anyone here have any pics of a White Limba body in translucent Blue, Purple, or Red to share?

Sentinel

Re: Translucent Finish on White Limba Body

Postby Sentinel » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:28 pm

I just found this Translucent Greenburst on White Limba, and I think it looks really nice. I'm starting to think the other colors will look just as nice, at least that's my hope!

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:40 am

People tend to go for those vintage yellow trans colors because they're so reminiscent of the first really well known and highly celebrated examples of korina being used on a guitar--the Gibson space age trilogy (obviously) of the original V, Explorer, and the Moderne.

But I would say if you're interested in seeing pretty much every variant of color thrown on slabs of korina, head on over to Reverend Guitars and check out the line, especially the slab bodies without a top.. you should be able to see a good swath of color examples of korina with different sprays. The vast majority of their guitars have been made of korina and korina only for the longest time, with endless colors and bursting options. If it's not made of korina it's either a topwood or a specific model that uses the different body wood as an integral part of the axe (like the Pete Anderson hollowbody made of very traditionally used laminated maple.. but still with a--yep, you guessed it--korina brace under the top).
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Sentinel

Postby Sentinel » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:22 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:People tend to go for those vintage yellow trans colors because they're so reminiscent of the first really well known and highly celebrated examples of korina being used on a guitar--the Gibson space age trilogy (obviously) of the original V, Explorer, and the Moderne.

But I would say if you're interested in seeing pretty much every variant of color thrown on slabs of korina, head on over to Reverend Guitars and check out the line, especially the slab bodies without a top.. you should be able to see a good swath of color examples of korina with different sprays. The vast majority of their guitars have been made of korina and korina only for the longest time, with endless colors and bursting options. If it's not made of korina it's either a topwood or a specific model that uses the different body wood as an integral part of the axe (like the Pete Anderson hollowbody made of very traditionally used laminated maple.. but still with a--yep, you guessed it--korina brace under the top).

That's pretty much my thought on the lack of variety I've generally seen when it comes to finishes on white limba. Basically a kind of time-warp mind-lock. Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:35 pm

Here's trans moss green over white limba (satin finish)
viewtopic.php?t=47420
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

ilyti
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ilyti » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:19 pm

Thank you Bob, didnt even have to do a search. :D

( just realized I promised outdoor pics and never delivered :oops: )

White limba takes colour very, very well. Like mahogany, only lighter in colour and with potential for interesting grain patterns.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars