Tops on acoustic electric

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Tops on acoustic electric

Postby texastoast » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:00 pm

When did they start doing this?? Is this a one off. Now I have gas.
My color as well.
The fret board is going to be royal or something streaky on mine if the do this with any regularity.
On the builder it does not offer anything much for options.

I am wondering if the top kills the acoustic volume. What say you guys.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Tops on acoustic electric

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:14 pm

texastoast wrote:When did they start doing this?? Is this a one off. Now I have gas.
My color as well.
The fret board is going to be royal or something streaky on mine if the do this with any regularity.
On the builder it does not offer anything much for options.

I am wondering if the top kills the acoustic volume. What say you guys.

When did they start going what, exactly? They've always had tops.

If you mean options other than the Ceder or Spruce: the flamed maple has been available from the start, but anything other than the two "standard" woods voids the 10-day.

Taylors been working more and more with maple on not-cheap guitars, so it can't be all that bad. ;) Kiesel's also offered it on the AC375, which is a fully-hollow model (unlike the AC175 or CC275).

One thing they do say, though, when people ask about unplugged tone on FB...it sounds like a loud semi-hollow electric guitar. It's not going to trade blows with anything fully-hollow that has a thin braced top and back.

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:12 pm

I guess I am am just late to the party. I did not know. I did a google search and also the gallery. I get it now.

And I assumed it would not be like a full bodied dreadnought. I also assumed wrong in thinking the standard top was thin with bracing like acoustics are. I had now idea the ceder and spruce were that thick.

I think it would be cool. I just need to pick a color I do not already have. That is getting hard.

Sorry I was so far behind the curve.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:48 pm

No need for apologies. At the break-neck speed some of these things come and change, it's hard to keep up. :)

The Zeus acoustic is an interesting beast.

It's a bolt-on, so that part of the body needs to be thick and beefy.

Then from the back, we can see that there's an actual control cavity, just like an electric, and that the electronics just aren't fitted in through the soundhole. It appears to be made like the AC275:

Then, you take into acount the how the bridge attaches. directly under the bridge there still needs to be solid wood for the bridge to screw to.

Then, we know they can't chamber under where there's no top. That means the whole bevel can't be hollow underneath it, and the scoop under the bridge can't be hollow.

That means that if you take the area of the top, subtract at least the perimeter of top for glue-down area, then take out the bridge area, take out the bolt neck area, and the separate control cavity, there's not necessarily a whole lot of open space left...

...especially considering that the body is no thicker than the standard electric Zeus.

It'll be louder than the standard solid body when unplugged, for sure...but it was designed to be a couch noodler, and a plugged-in stage and touring sharp-as-a-scalpel tool.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars