I Hope Kiesel Never Drops the Bolt!

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

I Hope Kiesel Never Drops the Bolt!

Postby Omsong » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:39 am

And here is why: ARTICLE LINK

In Jeff's live post this week he can foresee a possible future when the Bolt kit goes away due to their growing manufacturing load. So it got me thinking... :think:

In some cases the guitarist and the instrument he/she plays are synonymous. For example, a few famous guitarists playing this style instrument: LIST Imagine if Hendrix or SRV played a Gretch G5422 instead!

I'd much rather own a Kiesel Bolt over any other brand Str@t style guitar.
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: I Hope Kiesel Never Drops the Bolt!

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:06 am

I've been out of the loop on the videos the past few weeks due to a vacation to Vegas, traveling to London for work... I know... Tough life! Haha!

That said, I have to imagine that he was specifically talking about the kits in general, and not the bolt model itself, if those were his words. He has previously mentioned the likelihood that the kits may eventually go away, because honestly he forgets about them. In previous videos where eople asked about price increases or new or retired options and asked if they would apply to the kits, he always seems to be caught off guard, and says something like, "oh yeah...".

He's also also confirmed that they actually do spend a little less time on the fret work on the kits than they do on the factory builds. With the low quantity of kits that they seem to sell, and with the prices being what they are I don't see that changing anytime soon, plus the fact that is just simply more profitable to sell a complete guitar with optional upgrades... It seems like their somewhat limited production capacity is better served by these higher Revenue, higher profit completed guitars.

Now for why I don't necessarily think that the bolt will go away, unless it's replaced by something else that is also meant to suit Stratocaster shoppers, is because of Carvin. First, it actually still does seem to sell better than most of the other models that have been retired in recent years. Also, I'm fully convinced that the only reason that they have one bass model and one guitar model, not including the jb200c, with the Carvin logo, is trademark retention. As long as they continually produce at least one model of guitar and bass that still has the Carvin name, they can retain the trademark. Just because you own a trademark now does not mean you get to keep it in perpetuity. You actually have to show a bonafide effort to use it... And that's the legal term. I have a couple company name ideas in my head should I ever decide to do something with them, but I have not registered them because I'm in no position to use them within a year or two, which I believe is the limit. If they were to stop using it actively, within a short amount of time, someone else could start... and you could imagine how much confusion that would cause, especially after realizing that were at least four years after the Carvin and Kiesel split and there are still people who think kiesel bought Carvin, or that Kiesel is somehow still related to Carvin amps. :think:

That said, with the way things change, and how things don't always seem the same on the outside as they apparently are on the inside, the best advice anyone can give is that if there is something that they like that you want that you should buy it now. It makes sure that you get one, and shows that there is still potential Market for more sales. 10000 people who almost bought something isn't worth as much as 5 who do. I'm sure there's some sort of old-fashioned-y saying along those lines... Something to do with bird hands, bushes, killing birds with stones, Etc... :lol:

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:15 am

I have thought about getting a Bolt kit but if they don't put as much thought and care into them as they do everything else I'm not interested, especially after the last two guitars I have purchased from them have had some sort of electronic issue right out of the box.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

skully13a
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby skully13a » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:48 pm

I got a bolt kit in '15 and it was amazing. I love that guitar. I thought the process of finishing was pretty good too.
I'll be sad if & when they drop those.
SH645
V440T
SM212 Stage Master
MB10

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Doug » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:12 pm

It'll be a sad day if they go. I love my Bolt+ kit.
facebook.com/hamfistrocks

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:31 pm

Jeff's comments were specifically directed towards the kits, because someone commented during the live feed how much they love their Bolt kit. So, it would be unfair to extrapolate that to include the factory built model, but it did get me to thinking that the Bolt doesn't really fit into their current 'metal' bias. (Not saying that you can't play metal on a Bolt...) Of course, neither do several other models, but it is the only one with a pick guard (not including Basses).

Good explanation why Kiesel would still continue to label them as 'Carvin's", not Kiesel's unless requested.

The bottom line is that the kit's require labor and materials which can be used to generate higher profits in a factory built instrument. Interesting, they (Carvin or Kiesel?) used to sell necks to Stewart Mac but stopped because they needed all their necks for in house orders (and Stew Mac was buying them at a discount).

Kiesel
Past tense

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:24 pm

Years ago on this BBS we predicted all kits will go away, all Bolts will go away - the bass already did, and eventually all models that existed before the split will go away.

The bolt kit is an amazing instrument.

When the LB goes away I will be very sad.

claro fretless.jpg

claro BEM 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:58 pm

I too hope the Bolts never go away.
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

DannyB819
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby DannyB819 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:04 pm

I'm surprised the kits are still around at all. Their presence seems to go against Jeff's general modus operandi since the split.

That said, I don't think the Bolt is going anywhere - Jeff's too smart to get rid of the line's only real Strat contender and the customizable nature of the company's business model makes the Bolt a much less expensive alternative to other builders of Strat-style guitars like Suhr and Anderson for those that want a "Strat" but don't want something off-the-rack from Fender.

That said, I do think all pre-split models will end up going away, except for maybe the JB models. I could easily see the Bolt getting a facelift to make it more Kiesel-fied and be different enough for it to get a new model name and Kiesel-only branding - something similar to how the Crescent is an updated CT.

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:51 pm

DannyB819 wrote: I could easily see the Bolt getting a facelift to make it more Kiesel-fied and be different enough for it to get a new model name and Kiesel-only branding - something similar to how the Crescent is an updated CT.

It does seem that the Aries, with it's more extreme double cutaway and bolt neck was designed to be that replacement.

Kiesel
Past tense

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Doug » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:29 pm

DannyB819 wrote:That said, I do think all pre-split models will end up going away,

I think that getting rid of the Bolt and the CS would be absolute madness. They appeal to fans of the two most iconic electric guitars ever built.

I was a Les Paul player for years. Now I'm a CS6 guy!

DannyB819
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby DannyB819 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:05 am

Doctor Doug wrote:
DannyB819 wrote:That said, I do think all pre-split models will end up going away,

I think that getting rid of the Bolt and the CS would be absolute madness. They appeal to fans of the two most iconic electric guitars ever built.

Oh I don't condone the idea, I just think it's an inevitability. I could see a new singlecut replacing the CS in the same way I think Crescent will replace the CT and the Ares replaced the Bolt+ and C66.

Maybe I'll get a super awesome rad name inspired by Star Wars or Greek mythology to make it even more rad.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:41 am

DannyB819 wrote:
Doctor Doug wrote:

Oh I don't condone the idea, I just think it's an inevitability. I could see a new singlecut replacing the CS in the same way I think Crescent will replace the CT and the Ares replaced the Bolt+ and C66.

Maybe I'll get a super awesome rad name inspired by Star Wars or Greek mythology to make it even more rad.

Makes me all the more grateful to be the owner of a CT, CS, and Bolt.
Not to mention an early C66 with the deeper forearm cut. 8)
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:27 pm

If the bolt and/or bolt kits went away....not a big deal. The "strat" is, perhaps, the most overly produced and copied guitar design in the world. Tons of options out there to build a custom strat easily.

Speaking of the quality of the bolt kits...yea, good bang for the buck but not that great overall. I've purchased one in the past, as well as putting a couple of "strats" together form Warmoth's parts. Warmoth's quality was significantly better and they offer more options - but more expensive too. So i guess it is all relative...

Anyway, I do have an old school Carvin bolt-T and I really like it a lot.
Carvin guitars: AC375, Cobalt 250, Bolt-T.
Carvin amps: Legacy I w/Mesa 2X12 Rectifier speaker cab, AG100D.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Doug » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:05 pm

DannyB819 wrote:
Doctor Doug wrote:

Well, I've got two CS6's so I'm covered if they end up radding that one right out of my wheelhouse. I'm keeping an eye on the SH550 though.

Abdababda
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Abdababda » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:23 am

I am in the camp that says, "I hope the Bolt never goes away." It's a classic tried and true guitar design. It's affordable to every player. And they sound and play great. I have a Bolt and a GH3. I can't imagine parting with them.

Return to Other Gear