Amp collection?

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Amp collection?

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:30 am

Not having seen a thread about this, and seeing some individual threads with some collections shown, why not make an aggregate?

I don't have a ton of pictures of my stuff, but I can point to what it looks like online. I also don't have a bunch of amps anymore, and focused more on preamps, using a simple 100W Class D power-amp, or impulse responses (for silent recording).

Currently, I still have a few (some are also in storage, but I'm counting them):

Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue (bought new in 2013).
Ashdown Five-fifteen (bought new 2013)
1967 Gibson GA-5T (in need of a complete rebuild).
1997 Peavey Duel 212 (92 pounds, 120W, 2 channels) Peavey's "twin killer."

The ones I play around with:
Carvin Vintage 16 (mods aplenty, and different speaker)
1961 Gibson Falcon (tweed). 14.5W officially. Modified with a 100W Jensen Vibranto speaker. Looks like this:

The other oddball, a Jackson JG2, which was designed by Paul Gagon, as Jackson's take on a hot-rodded JCM/JMP:

Chassis shot:

I have a few pre-amps:
Atomic Amplifire 12, Carvin Legacy Drive, and ISP Theta pedal. I tend to run them through a 1st gen Bad Cat Unleash (in blue), through a vented 1x12 Fusco cabinet with an Eminence EM12 inside.

The cabinet, while unconventional in looks, sounds fantastic, and has the basic specs of a "thiele" cabinet.

So, what does everyone else kick around?
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

ElfDude

Re: Amp collection?

Postby ElfDude » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:43 am

My amp collection isn't large...

Carvin Nomad combo.
Carvin Vintage 16 head with one of their old 4x10 Vintage Series cabs.
Quilter Aviator Twin Ten combo.
Quilter Aviator MicroBlock 45 head.
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Brian Johnston
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brian Johnston » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:45 am

I collect preamps (in pedal format) since I record direct to DAW. Carvin Legacy Drive, Taurus SH3 (which actually is an amp), a few from Mooer (Blueno is my favorite and one I use the most), and Le Lead.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:48 am

Carvin v3M with two of the 1x12 cabinets (one V30, one GT12), but that's on the chopping block.

Currently, it's a Helix, going through either my PC or a Carvin AG100d (in black tolex...not that awful green). Although, everything been in storage for going-in 3 months while we have work done on the house. Hopefully only about 1 more month...

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:46 pm

spudmunkey wrote:Carvin v3M with two of the 1x12 cabinets (one V30, one GT12), but that's on the chopping block.

Currently, it's a Helix, going through either my PC or a Carvin AG100d (in black tolex...not that awful green). Although, everything been in storage for going-in 3 months while we have work done on the house. Hopefully only about 1 more month...

Oh yeah, I remember seeing the cabs for sale. If I had room, I would've picked one of them up to pair with my current cabinet. Speakers/cabinets make a huge difference in amps.

Playing through PC or headphones is a whole lot easier some days. The Amplifire does a fine job there, and I have an HX effects for loading extra IRs and other effects. As nice as the Amplifire sounds, tweaking anything Line 6 is much simpler and more intuitive.

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:23 pm

No pictures, but currently I have:

-A Peavey JSX Head, purchased this year from someone who claimed it was new old stock. I don't really use it. I was running it through a Carvin 212V cabinet.
-A Peavey XXL solid state head which, due to backordered parts, has been in the shop for 12 weeks. This is ever since I bought it off eBay, so I've never heard the amp. I regret buying it.
-Carvin Legacy 3 owned since just after launch. Rarely player anymore. Legacy II 2x12 cabinet used with it.
-Carvin VT16 combo. My favorite amp. Owned since I bought it new in 2012.
-Carvin V3MC, another favorite.
-Fender Super Champ XD with Eminence Ragin Cajun speaker. I only use channel 1 with some reverb, but it is an awesome clean pedal platform.
-Quilter Tone Block 201, run through the PA at church or through a Carvin Vintage series 1x12 at home. Sounds great.
-Quilter Interblock 45, the newest thing.

I had a Quilter Microblock 45 and 101 Mini and Carvin Legacy Drive but sold them. Good sounding stuff, but just not necessary for me to have anymore. I may sell all the big head amps (Peaveys and Legacy). I don't need the weight or wattage, and prefer the sound of small amps with pedals and my V3MC anyway.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:33 pm

I am a sick individual. I have way too many. I have 3 legacy one heads, and one legacy three. Three different versions of the x100 including one combo. A mts 100, valve master 100, ag100d, and a V3
bogner Ubershall and shiva
marshalls,jcm 800, dls100, jvm210, 59hw
Mesa triple and a mk25
friedman butterslax, runt 50
diezel herbet180
rivera kr7
evh 5150 stealh el34
fender princeton and dual reverb combo's
Maybe something else I am forgetting.

Do not get me started on rack gear or pedals

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:39 pm

2Plus2isChicken wrote:No pictures, but currently I have:

-A Peavey JSX Head, purchased this year from someone who claimed it was new old stock. I don't really use it. I was running it through a Carvin 212V cabinet.
-A Peavey XXL solid state head which, due to backordered parts, has been in the shop for 12 weeks. This is ever since I bought it off eBay, so I've never heard the amp. I regret buying it.
-Carvin Legacy 3 owned since just after launch. Rarely player anymore. Legacy II 2x12 cabinet used with it.
-Carvin VT16 combo. My favorite amp. Owned since I bought it new in 2012.
-Carvin V3MC, another favorite.
-Fender Super Champ XD with Eminence Ragin Cajun speaker. I only use channel 1 with some reverb, but it is an awesome clean pedal platform.
-Quilter Tone Block 201, run through the PA at church or through a Carvin Vintage series 1x12 at home. Sounds great.
-Quilter Interblock 45, the newest thing.

I had a Quilter Microblock 45 and 101 Mini and Carvin Legacy Drive but sold them. Good sounding stuff, but just not necessary for me to have anymore. I may sell all the big head amps (Peaveys and Legacy). I don't need the weight or wattage, and prefer the sound of small amps with pedals and my V3MC anyway.

That's a crazy wait time for backordered parts. I'm sure they can be substituted with equal or better quality stuff. Did your shop even say what they had to order? Whenever I've worked on an amp, I check the specs, and then buy elsewhere (almost always from Mouser). My Jackson recently received new filter caps, and I went with long-life computer-grade ones. Lower noise floor, and the amp is super punchy now.

Totally agree about the large heads. The Jackson is the only one I have around, with the other large amps in storage. A good solid-state power amp seems to work just fine for me with a pre-amp pedal. I've thought of picking up a Quilter just for that option, instead of using the Unleash.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:40 pm

texastoast wrote:Do not get me started on rack gear or pedals

Sounds like we need another thread just for that! :lol:

I had a decent collection of effects, but pared that down, too.

X1Glider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby X1Glider » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:51 pm

My collection is pretty darn small these days as I'm trting to simplify my life and settle on "MY" sound, starting with parting out the rack.

Carvin Gen 1 V3 with 2 matching bottom cabinets with Vintage 30s. "MY" sound.

Home-made 1x12 cab with a 25w Greenback for low power breakup for recording (the neighborhood bicycle to my music friends, everyone passes her around)

Hotone Nano Heart Attack micro amp (Recto Inspired). Plugs into the "neighborhood bicycle."

Crate Vintage Club 30 1x12. Currently the schematic is being red-lined so it can be repurposed as a bedroom/recording "all tube 2-ch bass amp." Reverb circuit will be ripped out and a footswitch circuit added in to turn on/off the FX loop. Still waiting to hear back if this will actually work. Then I will get an appropriate speaker and build a new combo cabinet.

Mesa Boogie Stereo 2:90 amp leftover from rack. Currently used with a Line 6 Helix floor unit.

Helix is on the chopping block. Way too much effort to program and make sure all patches are the same volume level. Impossible to tweak on the fly like a pedal. Likely will go back to a handful of pedals and spend the rest of my days with "my signature sound."

kmd09
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby kmd09 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:05 pm

Here's my most current. I say most current because there have been a lot of changes over the last several months and who knows six months from now! I tried to balance classic (Marshall JVM210H, Orange Rockerverb 100 MKII, Splawn QR and Carvin X100B) and modern (Mesa Triple Rec, PRS Archon 50 and Carvin V3) rock tones to have all my bases covered. I threw in the Boss Katana just to check it out and it turned out to be a very versatile amp. I like it much better than the Fender Super Champ X2 I got rid of. I'm pretty content with the current line up but the Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister 40 Deluxe intrigues me. I'm gonna switch gears for now and focus on a couple guitars I've always wanted - a nice Tele and Les Paul.
DSCN2294.JPG

DSCN2239.JPG

DSCN2296.JPG

DSCN1780.JPG

DSCN2143.JPG

DSCN1771.JPG

DSC_1065.JPG

DSC_2785.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AC375 DEEP RED ON FLAME
V49K DEEP NIGHTBURST ON FLAME
CT624M DEEP AQUABURST ON FLAME
CS624S DEEP PURPLE ON QUILT
SH575 DEEP ORANGEBURST ON FLAME
'79 CM130
PRS SE245
X100B
V3 1/2 STACK
AG100D
BX700, BRX10.2, BRX15.3
FENDER STRAT, TACOMA DM-18, TRAYNOR YGL3-100 MKIII, YAMAHA G1OO-212

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:52 pm

The amp repair shop I took the XXL to was recommended to me by our church band leader who had some stuff repaired by them, and they quoted me a very reasonable price for the repair so I'm fine with it. It's not like I'm needing that amp anytime ever anyway. I bought it on a whim knowing the Peavey XXL amps were really awesome for solid state ones. The eBay seller unfortunately said it was functioning when it wasn't. I can't say it was their fault though because I tried it with the JSX footswitch and I don't know if that could mess something up or not.

I can't remember what the repair shop said was wrong, but they've called me several times so I know it's not just that they've forgotten me. I know nothing about the inner workings of amps so I'll just leave it to them instead of ordering the part myself.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:24 am

I have some sort of gear magnet or black hole vortex in my house, where stuff gets sucked in, but rarely ever goes out. :twisted: With my 2 dogs, I rarely ever get a chance to drag any of that stuff out to my living room to jam on. I'm mostly guitar-cord-amp with my V3M anymore. I yearn for my X100 again - just haven't had the time to shift things around for it. On the plus-side, I'm not going thru a bunch of power tubes lately.
A while back, I ached for a Mesa Road King, with its mix and switch-capability of EL34 and 6L6 tubes. Alas, the head is too much $$$$ for a hack such as myself, with the little time I have to "play" anymore. I didn't used to care about my neighbor's ears :mrgreen: , but now I don't want to chase the dogs into a bedroom or basement. :wink:

I envy you guys with nice, neat gear rooms. My stuff gets crammed away in a dedicated small bedroom, and amp "overflow" in my 2nd computer room (no longer bedroom). :oops:
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:24 am

A few amps I used to have:
Two Legacy 3s, Legacy combo, drip-edge silver-face Bassman, Sano "hi fi" amp, Crate G60-GT, Roland JC-50, X100B, Champ 600R, and probably a couple others that were forgettable.

Used to have an old Digitech GSP-2101, but quickly figured out that it wasn't for me. The absolute worst pre-amp I've ever tried was a Rocktron Gainiac 2. The clean was passable, but the dirty side sounded so cheap and gross/fizzy/thin. I don't recommend those, and it put me off Rocktron stuff, and very nearly ISP. I used a cheap Behringer V-amp 3 for a bit, too, until trying for heavier sounds, and realizing that it couldn't do it. My first pre-amp/processor was a Korg AX-1000G; which is still surprisingly useful for effects. The distortion sounds too digital.

I wish I had more time to get loud, as the only real time is when the kidlet is in bed, so IRs and silent recording, or at least low-volume over monitors at the PC. But, when I do get loud, lately it's been into that Jackson, with a delay in the loop, and I'm good to go. That amp responds so well to the Fluence actives that I don't even want a boost with it. It gets *just* the right amount of grit to sound great on rhythm, and the pickups have incredible sustain, so I don't really need anything else. One of these days I'll have to record the sound.

Maybe I'll get another tiny amp one day, though I wasn't terribly impressed with the Champ.

Return to Other Gear