New! Zeus MULTISCALE Headless Bolt-Neck Bass

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: New! Zeus MULTISCALE Headless Bolt-Neck Bass

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:21 am

Toptube wrote:
gumbynotpokey wrote:pitch for each string? anyone?

Product page is up. BEADGCF

LOL on them getting that product page up. :)
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:55 am

Apparently it was made specifically for Dan Hauser of Veil of Maya,who has already played a couple shows with it over the past couple of days before the announcement.

Son_of_Mogh

Postby Son_of_Mogh » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:01 pm

What is the string spacing at the bridge? I looked; didn't see mention of that spec.

Thanks in advance.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:07 pm

Not to derail the thread but just saw a 6 string demo upload from Kilian Duarte on the FB Group page. It's hilarious. He's a great player and all but the demo of the HB/HB 6 is on the upper strings in the upper register.

I was like, "Man, this guy should just get a guitar" which is typical of a pathetic bassist like me to say, but then I was like, "I wonder how a bass line would sound to go with this"? Like for real. My inner bassist wanted to start to play a line with him.

Also hilarious that someone in the thread quickly went, "Gotta love the open pole humbuckers" or something like that.

Gosh I'm getting old I guess.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:02 pm

gumbynotpokey wrote:Not to derail the thread but just saw a 6 string demo upload from Kilian Duarte on the FB Group page. It's hilarious. He's a great player and all but the demo of the HB/HB 6 is on the upper strings in the upper register.

I was like, "Man, this guy should just get a guitar" which is typical of a pathetic bassist like me to say, but then I was like, "I wonder how a bass line would sound to go with this"? Like for real. My inner bassist wanted to start to play a line with him.

Also hilarious that someone in the thread quickly went, "Gotta love the open pole humbuckers" or something like that.

Gosh I'm getting old I guess.

Yeah. It is a 6 string bass with a High C. But yeah, a lot of sound clips out there of bass nowadays, are of these guitar like high register finger picked things.

Bass looks rad though, with the Music Man style pickups. and with the multi-scale aspect, the net tone result is kinda like a Split P.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:35 pm

kKwWZAb-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:18 pm

Overall, I'm really glad they are expanding the headless offerings for bass. Its a great way to reliably receive a lightweight bass. And without needing to order a bunch of extra weight saving options, like specific wood types, further cost for choice lightweight wood, and costs for a top a then chambering.

No headstock and separate tuners + Smaller bodies can mean less weight than many of those options stacked onto one of their basses with headstocks!

and if you do add some of those extra options to a headless, You'll end up with a featherweight. You just might, anyway. My alder body + 1 piece walnut neck 4 string Vader build, was 7.2 pounds.

Weight is really important for me. I would skip many basses I see on the in stock section, because of weight.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:34 pm

The building I'm working in today, is two blocks from a Guitar Center.

I decided to go there on my lunch break and try a 6 string Ibanez. It felt pretty good! So, I may get a 6 string Headless from Kiesel. :stir:

5StringPocket

Postby 5StringPocket » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:25 pm

I really like this bass and called Kiesel Guitars today to ask a few questions about a potential Zeus ZBM5 build. I favor a finger style rock tone with a solid focused low end, well balanced mids, and smooth highs that aren't harsh. He suggested the Radium humbuckers and said that 70's position is the standard layout. I thought that 60's and 70's jazz bass had the same neck pickup position but the 70's bridge pickup was about 1/2" closer to the bridge. I'm still a bit conflicted between these 4 body and neck wood choices as to which might best support the tone I'm after:
1) Swamp Ash body with Royal Ebony fingerboard (similar to ash/maple)
2) Alder body with Royal Ebony fingerboard (heard good things about alder/ebony but never played one)
3) Swamp Ash body with Zebrawood fingerboard (tamer highs versus ebony but how is the mid presence)
4) Alder body with Zebrawood fingerboard (similar to alder/rosewood)

I'd be interested to hear about anyones experience with these combinations.

HarlowTheFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:43 pm

5StringPocket wrote:I really like this bass and called Kiesel Guitars today to ask a few questions about a potential Zeus ZBM5 build. I favor a finger style rock tone with a solid focused low end, well balanced mids, and smooth highs that aren't harsh. He suggested the Radium humbuckers and said that 70's position is the standard layout. I thought that 60's and 70's jazz bass had the same neck pickup position but the 70's bridge pickup was about 1/2" closer to the bridge. I'm still a bit conflicted between these 4 body and neck wood choices as to which might best support the tone I'm after:
1) Swamp Ash body with Royal Ebony fingerboard (similar to ash/maple)
2) Alder body with Royal Ebony fingerboard (heard good things about alder/ebony but never played one)
3) Swamp Ash body with Zebrawood fingerboard (tamer highs versus ebony but how is the mid presence)
4) Alder body with Zebrawood fingerboard (similar to alder/rosewood)

I'd be interested to hear about anyones experience with these combinations.

I play rock with picks and fingers (ala Steve Harris) and my current bass has an alder body and maple with a rosewood board (J/J Warwick Rockbass Corvette Standard), and I think it fits what you're looking for, tonally. My suggestion would be alder body, walnut neck, and ebony fretboard. The alder's pretty evenly balanced tonally, and walnut IMO is like maple but more suited to bass (my preference, just anecdotal experience). Since you're going with humbuckers, I think the ebony board might give you a little extra snap, but it'll be nice with fingers since you have a broader palette of sounds.

All of the combinations you've got listed here will give you what you're looking for, I think, and it's just a matter of picking your particular flavor. My suggestion should be pretty even across the frequency range of the instrument, but you might want something that emphasizes a particular part of your sound depending on your needs.

Koshchei
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:31 pm

Re the 7 string: Holy smokes! One more string and the line between guitar and bass guitar will completely gone; you'll have long scale/wide spacing and short scale/narrow spacing. I guess it'll come down to one question: do you prefer pick or fingers?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:47 pm

Koshchei wrote: I guess it'll come down to one question: do you prefer pick or fingers?

Will it, though? :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWr3vfjNVCE

Koshchei
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:32 am

I sit firmly in the Marty Friedman school of thought vis a vis David Ellefson and his relative merits as a bassist. I’d take Carol Kaye as a picker any day (hell, she could play the pants off any of us on guitar or bass). :)

But yeah... given the huge range overlap, the only major difference is form factor. I’m not sure what would determine whether you go ERB or ERG in this case, as they’d be pretty equal. Do you buy the bass or the guitar, when they’re both capable of doing the same things, albeit via different mechanical means?

Personally: Having played nothing but bass since August, I love it, in particular the incredible variety of timbres you can get by plucking. But if I had to decide, I’d probably stick to 4 string, and go ERG because I prefer how the higher register sounds on the shorter scale length. Of course, the trade off is that you run into the harmonic interval limit a lot sooner on a guitar than a bass because of the shorter scale (i.e. a minor third still sounds like a minor third a lot lower on a bass than a guitar).

What do you think?

SilkyHotLicks
Carvinite
Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby SilkyHotLicks » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:42 am

Son_of_Mogh wrote:What is the string spacing at the bridge? I looked; didn't see mention of that spec.

Thanks in advance.

+1
Since this question remains to be answered and I would like to know as well. I think that I'd like to buy one if it is 16.5mm.

HarlowTheFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:26 pm

SilkyHotLicks wrote:
Son_of_Mogh wrote:What is the string spacing at the bridge? I looked; didn't see mention of that spec.

Thanks in advance.

+1
Since this question remains to be answered and I would like to know as well. I think that I'd like to buy one if it is 16.5mm.

19mm on the 4 and 5 and 16.25mm on the 6 according to the product pages.

SilkyHotLicks
Carvinite
Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby SilkyHotLicks » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:47 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:
SilkyHotLicks wrote:

Thanks in advance.

+1

I already have a V69K and a VB6 short scale, what is intriguing to me is the possibility of a multiscale 7 string bass and that would have to be 16.5MM or less less at the bridge for my hand size.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:56 pm

SilkyHotLicks wrote:
HarlowTheFish wrote:
SilkyHotLicks wrote:

Thanks in advance.

+1

I already have a V69K and a VB6 short scale, what is intriguing to me is the possibility of a multiscale 7 string bass and that would have to be 16.5MM or less less at the bridge for my hand size.

Interesting..on Hipshot's page, th spacing for the standard scale 6 and 7 bridges is either 16.5 or 18 (two versions).

dsidab81

Postby dsidab81 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:36 pm

The product page for the Zeus 6 does indeed list 16.5mm as the bridge string spacing, however the produce page for the multiscale 6 does not...simply says multiscale bridge.

Really wanna recall the video Jeff had when these were announced might have been uniform spacing for all variants, but can't recall if it was 16.5...

I've got an email in to sales to verify this spacing

2019-02-22 14_35_06-ZBM6 KIESEL ZEUS 6-STRING MULTISCALE HEADLESS ELECTRIC BASS _ KieselGuitars.com.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dsidab81

Postby dsidab81 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:22 pm

Got email confirmation that the bridge spacing on the zeus multiscale 6. 16.25mm

TTW

Postby TTW » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:40 am

If only they would make an Osiris fan fret... I would order it.

The strap lock of the Zeus is at the 15th fret, which is not comfortable for me.

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses