Any chance of Hipshot/Kiesel tremolo available on a Bolt?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Tony PD

Any chance of Hipshot/Kiesel tremolo available on a Bolt?

Postby Tony PD » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:09 pm

Now that the Wilkinson tremolo has been relegated to the dustbin of history, is there any chance the Hipshot/Kiesel tremolo would be available on the Bolt Classic? Right now the only tremolo options are Vintage and Floyd Rose.

DannyB819
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Any chance of Hipshot/Kiesel tremolo available on a Bolt?

Postby DannyB819 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:54 pm

e kāhea i kaʻu mau limahana

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:36 am

DannyB819 wrote:e kāhea i kaʻu mau limahana

I do not think they speak that in Queens NY.
that is pretty hoʻomākeʻaka :lol:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:01 am

Currently, no. It's not programmed, and my hunch is that it would take a bespoke pickguard (but I have no proof of that, and I've never even compared the measurements, so i could be way off base there...but the Floyd needs it's own pickguard with a wider notch than what fits around the Vintage and FT6.

Jeff's never said anything about my hunch, but he did say that it would likely take a signed artist (like Greg Howe, for example) to want it for it to happen.

killa j
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby killa j » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:42 pm

Pretty frustrating, especially on the lefty side. We get Floyd Rose or hardtail now. I don’t really see why it would take any different programming than the Wilky had (unless the Kiesel Hipshot has different spacing from the Hipshot Contour). The Wilkinson and Hipshot Contour both work as a direct replacement for the Fender American tremolo, so it would seem that the Hipshot would work with the same routing as the Wilkinson. Who knows, but it’s definitely kept me from ordering another Bolt. I want a tremolo, but not a Floyd.

HarlowTheFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:35 pm

IIRC the standard Contour should be a drop-in replacement for a standard 2-point trem (Fender, Wilkinson, Gotoh, and presumably the Kiesel vintage trem) with no pickguard surgery required. As far as I can tell Kiesel tends to recess the Hipshot trem, but that's not really necessary.

ioneater
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ioneater » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:46 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:IIRC the standard Contour should be a drop-in replacement for a standard 2-point trem (Fender, Wilkinson, Gotoh, and presumably the Kiesel vintage trem) with no pickguard surgery required. As far as I can tell Kiesel tends to recess the Hipshot trem, but that's not really necessary.

Yes, the Contour can be fitted as a replacement for the Carvin/Kiesel wilky. The trem posts have to be swapped, and some wood trimmed from the route pocket for trem block clearance in a dive. Mine is a 1998 model Bolt, not sure if anything in the route has changed since then. Unexploded Cow has done the swap on his Bolt as well.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars