NBD LB70 Seafoam / Royal Ebony

Post Pictures of Your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Gear - No Cowbelling!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

dg000459
Gold Member
Gold Member

NBD LB70 Seafoam / Royal Ebony

Postby dg000459 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:46 pm

Here's build #6, it actually came before Christmas and I'm finally getting a couple pictures.

Good bass, the color is great! This one is also nice and lightweight. The tung-oiled neck feels pretty nice, too.
I like the MM pickup a lot, it's a little thinner sounding than the one on my Stingray Special (what isn't?), but roll the blend a little toward the neck (but still on the bridge side), and things are sounding really good. Lot of bass, still a lot of definition on the high end.

Quite satisfied with this build. I guess if we're picking nits, the royal ebony grain is pretty plain and close to what you'd get with the free "may have streaks" ebony, but I think at this point if you're dead set on a "sick" or "rad" pattern, you need to call in and say so and pay up, which I did not do. To be fair, I've gotten some really nice wood pulls on other builds without doing so.

Here's the pics, with an extra shot of the bolt-ons!

IMG_6552.jpeg

IMG_6550.jpeg

IMG_6549.jpeg

IMG_6547.jpeg

IMG_6545.jpeg

IMG_6544.jpeg

IMG_6543.jpeg

IMG_6475.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: NBD LB70 Seafoam / Royal Ebony

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:21 pm

Very cool!

The Royal Ebony looks good to me! It's not as dramatic as some, but I think if you were to try to get the same results from the "plain ebony" without the "less streaking", this would be considered the master grade of that, and you wouldn't have risked just gotten a weird mark on the 11th fret that looks like a smeared thumbprint that you'll constantly think is on your 12th fret. :lol:

I'd love to see this color in person, because on my screen on this crappy-ass laptop you could have told me that it was the bright white, and I wouldn't have doubted you.

skully13a
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby skully13a » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:50 pm

Indeed. 8) I think it's gorgeous. Nicely done. :applause: That's a sweet quiver of basses, too. 8)
SH645
V440T
SM212 Stage Master
MB10

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:51 pm

That’s a sweet lookin bass and a great collection as well, enjoy!
dbones Lefties
SH550 M22SD M22N
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

Greg Emm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Greg Emm » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:52 am

What a gorgeous bass, man. Your options choices are really understated and thoughtful. On your LB70 I especially love that orange streak in the head stock overlay. It's striking, noticeable, but doesn't distract from the elegance of the whole. Seafoam Green is one of Kiesel's nicest colors ... subtle, bright, and rich all at once. I can only imagine what this bass looks like up close and personal.

Thanks for posting a group portrait of your bold-on basses. It's illuminating to see those profiles next to one another for the sake of comparison. I especially appreciate having a better sense of the slight differences between the upper horns and length of each body style. Very cool.

Your collection definitely makes me a fan of matching fretboard and headstock overlay woods. Simply beautiful. :coolpics:

Thanks!

dg000459
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby dg000459 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:01 am

Thanks for the kind words! It's definitely a sweet bass, and great looking.
Yes, the seafoam is basically light enough to be an off-white, but unmistakably green if that makes any sense.
The surf green was just a little minty for my vision of this build. I actually wavered between seafoam and the vintage cream.
I also spent some time messing with the pantone pallet Pantone Color Picker before deciding the seafoam was right.

This guitar was an inspiration and the one I kept looking at during the wait. Mine turned out pretty close to that!

Time to play it a lot for a while and see how it shakes out. I love bass guitars!

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Photo Gallery