New pair of Bromberg B25 basses

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Matt Morgan

New pair of Bromberg B25 basses

Postby Matt Morgan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:58 pm

Just about 12 weeks ago to the day, I ordered two B25 basses; one fretted and one fretless.
I received the FedEx notification that the first had shipped and it should be here tomorrow.
Guess what popped up on their Facebook page today! The first pic!
I guess the flamed maple, finish and the zebra wood fretboard came out "OK"...I guess... :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: New pair of Bromberg B25 basses

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:40 pm

You got one of those "eye of the storm" zebrawood fretboards! Killer!

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:40 pm

Send pics to B2 himself. He would love to see those.

https://www.facebook.com/KieselCarvin-B ... 059414742/

X1Glider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby X1Glider » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:06 am

The eye of the storm is dominant on the 11th fret and just a little bit of 12. Another 1/2" and it could have been your 12th fret position marker. :wall:

I'm envious of your black stain. Beautiful top. (My black stain came in brown. Still gorgeous, just not black.)

Matt Morgan

Postby Matt Morgan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:22 am

The B25 arrived today and it is more beautiful in person that the pictures can convey. The fretboard and 5A flamed maple top are AMAZING. The build quality and fit and finish are stellar. Better than my previously owned B25s. However...

Sadly, the bass arrived with the wrong pickups installed and the "push/pull" active/passive preamp. Not what I ordered. Here's the kicker...The EXACT SAME THING happened when I ordered my last B25 basses about 5 years ago. At least they're consistent...

The shop is emailing me a return ticket to conduct the repairs but COME ON. I have a hard time believing that they can't read the order sheet during the build and install the correct components.

Two orders, five years apart and the exact same issue...

It's just a waste of everyone's time and energy. :wall:

Praiser
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Praiser » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:40 am

GREAT looking bass! That board is really stellar. :applause:

Bummer about the electronics, but I'm sure they'll make it right.
Hope the remaining one is right...maybe ought to have them double check it before it is shipped. :? 8) :roll:
John

LB75AP, LB70P, X54F, BK50, BK50F, BK40, C780
PB100, PB200 (With BX500 head and 1x15 ext Cab)
XP1000L, LM153s, LS1801A
Rogue Fretless, Ibanez ABG, Dobro Bass
Peavey Fury P Bass

Matt Morgan

Postby Matt Morgan » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:57 pm

Kiesel did a great job with the return and fix. My fretless arrived in perfect condition as well. Now I have both basses and they are spectacular!

With that said (wait for it....), I definitely like the tone of the radiused humbuckers better than the single coils!

Live and learn...

I already ordered a set of KRH pickups to put back into the fretted!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:11 pm

Interesting... I don't know all that much about bass tone, but i'm learning that I typically prefer the tone of single coil bass pickups. Do you find that the humbuckers lose anything compared to the single coil, or it is all "the same, plus more" for the humbuckers?

Glad they got the fix sorted successfuly!

HarlowTheFish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:45 pm

spudmunkey wrote:Interesting... I don't know all that much about bass tone, but i'm learning that I typically prefer the tone of single coil bass pickups. Do you find that the humbuckers lose anything compared to the single coil, or it is all "the same, plus more" for the humbuckers?

Glad they got the fix sorted successfuly!

I like singles more for playing with fingers or with multiple picking techniques, because the dynamics really shine. For 99% of stuff honestly either a P or a humbucker is probably an easier choice to make sound good though honestly, but J/J with flats. . .
Yes please

Matt Morgan

Postby Matt Morgan » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:16 pm

Tone is a completely subjective thing so my impressions may be very different from others but I'll try to give some of my thoughts.

First of all, I love the Kiesel radiused pickups. Why in the world every manufacturer isn't doing this is beyond me. What a joy to play. Physically and sonically, they are phenomenal. Both the SC and HB pickups are fantastic and sound great. However, there are some differences which lead me to my conclusions and opinions.

The HB and SC pickups have their own distinct "voice" or lack thereof as I'll discuss later.

The SC pickups have that classic, aggressive, upper midrange single coil "snap" that we've all heard on countless recordings. If that clear, punchy, single coil, "J" bass sound is that "tone in your head", these pickups are your weapon of choice. Think of that snarling, Geddy Lee tone. These SC pickups nail it. With that said, they are what they are. As soon as you roll off center, you get some noticeable noise and as powerful as the preamp is in these basses, they still carry that SC tone regardless of EQ settings. If you know and love that tone, you're going to get it strong and clear with the SCs!

I find the HB pickups to be much more evenly voiced and "neutral". To me that's a good thing. Others may disagree and call them too "transparent" or lacking "character". To me, this is what I want in a pickup. They are more of a blank canvass. I also think they don't "lose" anything compared to the SCs. To me, they sound more even and consistent string to string and up the neck. They don't have the SCs upper midrange "snarl" but they are crystal clear and with technique and a little EQ they can sound plenty aggressive! They have plenty of output as well. I was worried that the SC pickups would run much hotter than the HBs. Not the case. I feel the HBs have just as much output as the SCs and I've spent a good bit of time using the internal trim pots on both basses to get them volume matched so I don't have to worry about volume changes when switching basses. My internal trim pots are set nearly identically to each other. I was concerned that I would have to back off the SCs and really boost the HBs. Nope. I have them set at nearly the same level (slightly hotter than the "pull for passive" setting) and they are at nearly identical volume levels.

To me, the HBs seem more versatile. They can do smooth jazz, country, funk, metal, etc. with ease. They are also DEAD silent no matter where you have the pickup blend. SUPER quiet system.

For me, the SC pickups would be a "set it dead center and set the EQ flat and rock it out" system. Some guys probably totally love the idea of that type of set up and love the J tone for their playing.

To me and for my purposes, the HBs are more of a "I can sound whatever I need to sound like" system and I don't ever have to consider any additional signal noise.

All this is, of course and as usual, my $.02.

Thanks to all at Kiesel for fantastic instruments and even better pickups!

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:36 pm

With the second generation single coils (RAD-JVA), I couldn't even tell that they made noise. To test it, I put a RAD-JVA in the neck and a RAD-HVA (humbucker) in the bridge. only then, sitting next to my cab, could I tell that; oh, yeah, I guess technically they did make the teeniest bit of noise when soloed.

can we get pics of both your B2's?

Matt Morgan

Postby Matt Morgan » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:56 pm

Brace yourself...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:40 pm

whooooo baby those are nice!

Brain would love to see those:

https://www.facebook.com/KieselCarvin-B ... 059414742/

Matt Morgan

Postby Matt Morgan » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:11 am

I don't do any type of social media so I'm not sure how to get the pics to him. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Matt Morgan

Postby Matt Morgan » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:58 pm

I swapped out the KRJ single coils for the KRH hum buckers and am really happy with the change. I'm definitely a "hum bucker" tone kind of guy!

I have a sweet, brand new set of Kiesel Radiused single coil pickups (including one Reverse wound) for sale if anyone's interested! $100 shipped!

Matt Morgan

Postby Matt Morgan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:23 pm

Corrected. Thanks!!
Last edited by Matt Morgan on Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:30 pm

Matt Morgan wrote:Not sure if this is against any type of forum rules

Yep. At the very top of the page, there's a little blurb about 3 rules:

Please abide by the following rules:
a. For issues with shipping, repairs or complaints, use the CONTACT page.
b. No private sales, auctions or advertising services allowed.
c. No topics of a political/religious nature, profanity, flaming members or general bad behavior.

There is a Facebook Group specifically called "Kiesel & Carvin Buy/Sell/Trade Group" that's pretty active, though.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/972342386174000/

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses