New! Solo Bass!

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: New! Solo Bass!

Postby amon » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:39 pm

It was something of a rhetorical ask. I've followed the Carvin neck specs for a long time. The LB had a wider nut and thicker neck profile than anything Kiesel offers today.

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:37 pm

Really? That surprises me. Why does my Aries bass feel so much bigger? I thought for sure it was thicker. Or rounder.

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:51 pm

Yep. I just checked the specs on the "Basses" page - again. The LB70 measurements (width at nut and 24th fret and thickness at 1st and 12th fret) are (a tiny bit) larger than or equal those of the Aries.

My LB70 sure feels sleeker and faster. A few points:

1 It's broken in.
2 I don't know if it has the same neck design as current ones.
3 I don't know if the neck shapes (D, modified C, or whatever) are the same.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:00 pm

I don't have nearly enough experience with anything older than, say, mid-to-late 2000 Carvins, but from reading many posts over those years, it does seem to be that necks are not as slim as they used to be...well...I'd probably guess about 20 years ago. i do remember people saying their newer Carvins weren't as slim as their older ones, for those who had both.

SEANZILLA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SEANZILLA » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:54 pm

Cool that there is a new bass with a headstock, lame that it's a Telebass copy. We already have a J and P copy and those can be bought from Fender. Let's see something original with a headstock that isn't a copy, please. This company is more than capable of blazing it's own trail instead of producing Fender clones. That makes 3 newer models I will never buy.
Carvin B24S, LB-20, AC-40, SB5000, BK40 fretless. Schecter Diamond 8-string, Kramer ST-7000
Carvin BX-700 w/2 BRX10.4 NEO cabs
Boss GT-10B

Check out my band Therium here: https://www.reverbnation.com/therium1

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:02 pm

SEANZILLA wrote:lame that it's a Telebass copy.

Except it's not. The actual Telecaster Bass is what is sometimes referred to as the '51 Precision. This is a bass that borrows some design elements of the Telecaster guitar. There have been other companies to do this idea, including Squier, but they're pretty rare.

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:39 am

amon wrote:
SEANZILLA wrote:lame that it's a Telebass copy.

Except it's not. The actual Telecaster Bass is what is sometimes referred to as the '51 Precision. This is a bass that borrows some design elements of the Telecaster guitar. There have been other companies to do this idea, including Squier, but they're pretty rare.

You might have that kind of backwards. Or maybe it's just my interpretation. There was an actual Fender Telecaster bass model in the 70s. And yes, it looked like the original Precision bass.

I agree that the only significant similarity between the Kiesel Solo and Fender Tele is the shape. G&L has the ASAT model with that shape too.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:39 am

I think we're picking on semantics a bit.

Ok, so there was a model technically called the "Telecaster Bass", and that's not what the Solo Bass looks like, clearly
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Telecaster_Bass

But I think the point he was trying to make by saying "telebass" was that the Solo Bass is still just derivative of a Fender Telecaster shaped bass....neither of which are inventive on their own. And Fender did make a Telecaster-shaped bass, just branded "Squire"...and it was called "Telecaster Bass".

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:32 am

spudmunkey, yes I agree with you.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:26 am

SEANZILLA wrote:Cool that there is a new bass with a headstock, lame that it's a Telebass copy. We already have a J and P copy and those can be bought from Fender. Let's see something original with a headstock that isn't a copy, please. This company is more than capable of blazing it's own trail instead of producing Fender clones. That makes 3 newer models I will never buy.

The PB and JB are 5-6 years old. There have been 5 other bass models released, since then (not to mention multi-scale versions of 3 basses). 1 of which isn't available anymore, because it didn't sell as well as the PB and JB.

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:56 pm

Bob C wrote:I agree that the only significant similarity between the Kiesel Solo and Fender Tele is the shape.

Precisely why two single-coil pickups and the Solo guitar control configuration would be a better layout.

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:55 am

spudmunkey wrote:I think we're picking on semantics a bit.

Ok, so there was a model technically called the "Telecaster Bass", and that's not what the Solo Bass looks like, clearly
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Telecaster_Bass

But I think the point he was trying to make by saying "telebass" was that the Solo Bass is still just derivative of a Fender Telecaster shaped bass....neither of which are inventive on their own. And Fender did make a Telecaster-shaped bass, just branded "Squire"...and it was called "Telecaster Bass".

Oops. I have some wires loose in my brain. Even while looking at the original Telecaster bass in your link, I had it in my head that it was the same body shape as the Solo - which of course it's not.

Anyway, while the Solo has a vintage vibe, I don't consider it a copy of anything. And I like its looks.

SEANZILLA
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SEANZILLA » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:25 am

Toptube wrote:
SEANZILLA wrote:Cool that there is a new bass with a headstock, lame that it's a Telebass copy. We already have a J and P copy and those can be bought from Fender. Let's see something original with a headstock that isn't a copy, please. This company is more than capable of blazing it's own trail instead of producing Fender clones. That makes 3 newer models I will never buy.

The PB and JB are 5-6 years old. There have been 5 other bass models released, since then (not to mention multi-scale versions of 3 basses). 1 of which isn't available anymore, because it didn't sell as well as the PB and JB.

I still have zero interest in it. Make something new, enough copies. That's my point.
Carvin B24S, LB-20, AC-40, SB5000, BK40 fretless. Schecter Diamond 8-string, Kramer ST-7000

Carvin BX-700 w/2 BRX10.4 NEO cabs

Boss GT-10B

Check out my band Therium here: https://www.reverbnation.com/therium1

Crinocerous

Postby Crinocerous » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:38 am

I still have zero interest in it. Make something new, enough copies. That's my point.

I get that totally. I felt the same about the JB when it came out and the SB was axed (no pun int.) around the same time. The SB was functionally the same but had so much more character. I guess its purely what sells better. This solo shape, though done before, isn't as common as the JB and PB styles though I would have liked to see more of a "head" version of the zeus. but Ill reserve judgement until it is out and people begin to play with options. :D That can make this thing come alive.
sb5000 fretless mahogany
sb5001 spalted maple/mahogany
V69k BlLimba/Walnut top!
Ab6 on the way

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:48 am

Crinocerous wrote:I get that totally. I felt the same about the JB when it came out and the SB was axed (no pun int.) around the same time. The SB was functionally the same but had so much more character. I guess its purely what sells better.

I don't know if that was the case, as it was discontinued seeming the day Sekou Bunch and Carvin parted ways, and if I remember right, he had a hand in some parts of the design.

This solo shape, though done before, isn't as common as the JB and PB styles though I would have liked to see more of a "head" version of the zeus. but Ill reserve judgement until it is out and people begin to play with options. :D That can make this thing come alive.[/quote]

Crinocerous

Postby Crinocerous » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:07 pm

I don't know if that was the case, as it was discontinued seeming the day Sekou Bunch and Carvin parted ways, and if I remember right, he had a hand in some parts of the design.

I remember that a bit different but I admit I have no idea what was going on behind the scenes. Does that mean he had some sort of rights to the design? I just remember that the first one I bought (fretless) had his name all over the promotional material and the second I got (fretted) dropped his name and just used the model 'sb' in the catalog. hmmm maybe that was around the time they parted :think: Anyway I liked that the SB wasnt just a copy was the point. :lol:
sb5000 fretless mahogany
V69k BlLimba/Walnut top!
Ab6 on the way

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:44 pm

I remembered it was very close, but didn't remember details. I came upon this comment thread on another site that makes it sound like it discontinued from the site, replaced by the JB, the headstock changed to "classic" instead of SB, and Sekou removed from the artist roster page within, like, 2 days or Sekou and Carvin parting ways.

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/Carvin ... e.1080494/

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:03 am

I dunno if Sekou had rights to the shape or not. He was very involved in the design, however. rights or not, I'm sure Carvin (it was before the split and name change) wanted to distance themselves from him, after the falling out. So they just made a new bass.

And I don't really think of Kiesel's vaguely Fender-like models, as copies. They look quite different. Not to mention, 5 string P basses are not common. And you can of course add any of kiesel's options. I can't get a Jazz bass with small frets and a flatter radius. So, that alone would have me choosing an JB or Peanut butter, over a Fender. I have a Fender Jaguar bass with mods. It sounds like heaven. I hate playing it.

And if you do add some of the other options, you get a beast all its own. 'nary a Fender in sight.

Fender ain't making anything like any of these. Maybe once in a long while. You can do this everyday, at Kiesel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Crinocerous

Postby Crinocerous » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:03 am

And I don't really think of Kiesel's vaguely Fender-like models, as copies. They look quite different. Not to mention, 5 string P basses are not common. And you can of course add any of kiesel's options. I can't get a Jazz bass with small frets and a flatter radius. So, that alone would have me choosing an JB or Peanut butter, over a Fender. I have a Fender Jaguar bass with mods. It sounds like heaven. I hate playing it.

And if you do add some of the other options, you get a beast all its own. 'nary a Fender in sight.

Fender ain't making anything like any of these. Maybe once in a long while. You can do this everyday, at Kiesel.

I feel I've struck a nerve. I mean no offense being much more partial to my Carvins and Kiesels than my own fender. (I like your collage of options though :wink:) They are still killing it by making those options available especially in the price range. I just am not feeling the the J. To me the Solo could be a cooler option for an old school vibe meets optionspalooza imho. :)
sb5000 fretless mahogany
V69k BlLimba/Walnut top!
Ab6 on the way

HarlowTheFish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:52 am

Crinocerous wrote:To me the Solo could be a cooler option for an old school vibe meets optionspalooza imho. :)

If I ever see a Solo bass with an F-hole, someone's probably gonna have to tie me down before I sell a lung for it.

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses