Vintage (1973) Hagstrom Swede

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Vintage (1973) Hagstrom Swede

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:06 am

The vintage collection of 70's Hags is nearing its completion, having yesterday acquired a satisfactorily immaculate example of a standard (meaning 24.75/Gibson scale) Swede. This was their incarnation of a true vintage LP Custom, having a mahog body and a mahog top, for a darker resonance, but with that hint of a sting on the attack via an ebony board. And this is when ebony was da good schtuff. 100% old growth axe, and boy you can hear it when playing unplugged. Guitar is nice and light considering, probably about 8.5 lbs.

Last thing I really need is a vintage Super.

I scored this off of an Upper East Side seller at an amazing price. Everything is 100% original, including the case, and the condition is amazing.

1 piece true Honduran mahog top, 1 piece true honduran mahog body, ebony board, and those superbly clear and tele-like vintage Custom 58 Alnico II humbuckers, this thing is a destroyer of LP Customs. Frets have hardly any wear on them (owner was more a rhythm player), all of the binding is 100% in tact.

Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Naked Ape
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Vintage (1973) Hagstrom Swede

Postby Naked Ape » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:05 pm

Nice Score! Congratulations.
The family continues to grow. I'm sure there is a new (updated) family portrait on the way. Can't wait. :)

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:50 am

Flippin' sweet! :applause: :applause: :applause:

What a great score! Congrats!
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Doug » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:50 pm

Nice find!
facebook.com/hamfistrocks

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:42 pm

That's great!

You have a great collection. Those guitars are really cool.
Carvin guitars: AC375, Cobalt 250, Bolt-T.
Carvin amps: Legacy I w/Mesa 2X12 Rectifier speaker cab, AG100D.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:59 am

Thanks everyone! Yes, I've got her all cleaned up and intonated, and she screams and growls and crunches with that unique, thick transparency--if that combo of terms makes any sense. It has the width and power of a LP, but it has the unique transparency that's almost Telecaster like, and is very common to these guitars (and original PAF driven Gibsons from the late 50's). The kind of sound you'd never hear from a modern LP.

Naked Ape wrote:Nice Score! Congratulations.
The family continues to grow. I'm sure there is a new (updated) family portrait on the way. Can't wait. :)

Here's an updated shot of the vintage Hagsquad. You can see I completely ignore the Sixties Hagstroms with the single coils, and exclusively chase the 70's editions of these guitars for those gloriously transparent, yet powerful Alnico II humbuckers that are pretty much identical from guitar to guitar.

Then a shot of two takes on the handmade in Europe Swede, old vs new. The early 70's Standard Swede, next to the Northen Series Super Swede. You can immediately see the difference in the scale length between the two:

Now here's something interesting...

one of the rarest of all top tier Les Paul style guitars, the legendary Swedish made vintage Hagstrom Super Swede.. that Karl Erik Hagstrom said was an incredible guitar and by far the best guitar they ever made (Innovated the long scale Les Paul style axe with coil splits way before Gibson put out the CS Long Scale LP) not the new Hagstrom or even the tribute Northen Series, but the real thing... a mint mahogany tobacco burst. The guitar itself is already rare, in tiny quantities, and I'd say 85 % of the models made were all maple.. and the balance were made of mahog. The latter more desirable to me.. they sound almost the same but the maple editions run a little heavier. So this is the rare mahog version of an already obscure piece that never hits the market. My dream acquisition by far.

The first shot is that guitar sitting next to a roughly 1976 Standard Cherry swede.. by 76 they had switched to their own original roller bridge versus the proprietary rail clamps on the older Swede of mine. So again you can see the dif in scale lengths:

This lovely girl is sitting in Denmark... here she is two days ago.. sitting in her original branded case:
Much deeper and wider cutaway for upper fret access, vs the Swede.If you look at the shot of the Northen Super above, you'll see that they did NOT scan the shape of the original Supers, which was different from the Standard Swede. The modern Hag just uses the old Swede shape for both guitars
Detail
Zero fret detail (the only vintage Hag w a z fret), and the frets are immaculate. The owner is a collector and has multiple original Supers.. he has a black 1979 which I believe is his player, vs this one.. he has dozens of immaculate vintage Hags from the full stretch of the era:
Roller bridge and the coil splitter.. and stunning condition. This guitar to me is literally what a 1959 burst is to most others, and believe it or not these original Supers are more rare, harder to find. You can find 58-60 bursts available any time, you cannot find an original vintage (this one is a 1980, 2 yrs before they closed for biz) Super Swede available anywhere. Nobody sells them:
Set neck for a warmer attack and longer sustain on the long scale:

So... I thought I'd introduce this beautiful Scandinavian princess.. because .. well just because she might be a-travelin' soon. :mrgreen:
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:50 am

"Hagsquad". :lol: :applause:
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

Naked Ape
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Naked Ape » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:04 am

Dig the Super Swede!!!

Check out this Viking.
Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 10.00.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 10.01.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 10.01.18 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 10.01.30 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:25 am

They're great guitars, but he has changed it up a bit.

He's changed the pick guard and.. he's changed the pickups, and the rail bridge to a tom.

I know an old swedish dude out in C olorado who has six of these bubinga Vikings.

Anyhow here's the originals the way they should look:

Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:49 am

Detail of the pickups especially. Regardless of whether the HIIN, Viking, Swede, Super (4 wire for splitting), Jimmy D'Aquisto, the pickups will always be essentially the same, and they're identifiable by the uniquely rounded corners they have. Once you recognize it you can spot replacements easily.

And the bridge is obviously unique vs the ABR replacement on that bubinga edition, the pick guard is easy to spot since it's always branded on the Viking.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:21 pm

Really cool new modern Hagstrom:

The Hagstrom Alvar:

Hagstrom proudly introduces: The Hagstrom ALVAR

The Elf-Warrior Alvar, always has your back…

Within Norse Mythology of millennia far past, the warrior-elf god “Alvar” was a distinguished mighty warrior.
As legend tells us, Alvar held a storm of emotion within his calm exterior, and was the perfect role model as a true best friend that could always be relied upon.
Hagstrom Guitars proudly present the Hagstrom Alvar, the smaller brother of the Hagstrom Viking which perfectly lives up to its Norse origins as the “Elf Warrior”. A true best friend and fellow fighting companion.

This semi-hollow bodied instrument in its “petite” body size, will be a perfect match for players searching for a semi-hollow in a smaller compact form. While it shares so many elements of its larger bodied sibling, the Alvar is a reigning force despite its diminutive proportions and elements.

As Alvar was also known for having a calm and cool side
of his personality, this 6-stringed wonder has the ability to easily “dial down” for cool and calmer moments. If battle insists and a raging fight pursues, he takes up his battle axe and delivers some of the tightest and controlled death blows of mayhem. Sturdy, focused and resistant to feedback at high volumes and excessive gain, this guitar reacts and steps up to the task required.
It is surprisingly capable of delivering an onslaught of destruction taking players by pleasant surprise, with all of the power and might that this little beast can dish out.
It’s sleek and slim multi-ply maple body and set maple neck, are key to delivering its sharp attack and long sustain.

The dually equipped Hagstrom HJ-50 humbucking pickups transform this cool cat into a raging beast at the flick of a switch.
Our custom equipped RC-Circuit on each independent volume pot helps to keep the Alvar calm and subdued, while turning up the dials summon forth the elf-warlord.

Players that have already become acquainted with Alvar have been shocked at is exceptional feel and flexible tonal control, despite its meager size. The Alvar demonstrates its ability to flip from wholesome clean, to full staunch aggression in a heartbeat.

The Alvar is available in three beautiful finishes: Black Gloss, Wild Cherry Transparent, and Swedish Frost.

Sharp looking mini semihollow. Kind of like the Hag answer to the Gibson Midtown. I like that Frost with the black binding.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu May 16, 2019 10:25 am

The half paid for personal holy grail sitting in Denmark, in a rare vintage pro flight case made for it:

MINT!

End of month, she will be mine.. hoo hoo heheheheheheh o yes.. she will.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Doug » Thu May 16, 2019 10:52 am

That's awesome! I'm looking forward to reading about it!
facebook.com/hamfistrocks

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Thu May 16, 2019 11:07 am

Awwwww YEAH!!! 8)
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Return to Other Gear