Always Interesting to Check Out the Competition

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Always Interesting to Check Out the Competition

Postby Omsong » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:10 pm

Ibanez vs. Schecter

A couple of build details that I wish Kiesel would consider: ultra thin bodies and bound necks...
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Always Interesting to Check Out the Competition

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:20 pm

I used to have an S. I know the S still has a lot going for it, but the Aries is almost as thin on the top. And when I play sitting down, the wider bottom of the Aries is more comfortable on my thigh. My S, though, mahogany, so it wasnt *as* light as it could be.

As far as bound necks, my Ibanez's binding cracked at almost every fret tang, so I have a love/hate relationship with it.. ha!

I hope the neck binding holds up on my new/used Alvarez...but I'm nervous.
20190905_155859.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:18 am

spudmunkey wrote:And when I play sitting down, the wider bottom of the Aries is more comfortable on my thigh..
20190905_155859.jpg

Good point! I briefly had a (thinner) Holdsworth H2 and, when sitting, it would slide around on my leg a lot more than my Fatboy.

Guess with a high quality "naked" neck that has been fretboard edge rounded and with smoothly finished fret ends, the actual playing 'feel' between it an a bound neck is negligible. Then, it's just a matter of aesthetics. It is kind of funky that the Ibanez S in the video has white neck and cream body binding - not so cool for a $2K guitar.

Bet your binding splitting is caused by fret sprout... That would be upsetting!
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

HarlowTheFish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:32 pm

Yeah the only way to get the binding to not split is to cut the fret tangs just right so sprout goes over the binding instead of through it. If you cut too much the frets pull up, if you don't cut enough it'll crack anyway, and it's a pain in the ass in general, so most companies don't bother because it's not worth the extra effort to them. Doesn't sound like a lot, but when it's two bits per fret for 22-24 frets per guitar, it adds up in a production environment.

Return to Other Gear