Interesting tone test

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Srini
Gold Member
Gold Member

Interesting tone test

Postby Srini » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:33 pm

I stumbled upon this gem on YouTube. Quite honestly, I'm not so sure I buy it because, to me, it seems very much like changing the wings on a neck thru to see if there's any difference, as opposed to changing the "body wood" which, in this case, would be the section to which the neck is bolted on (to which the bridge and pickup are attached).

Still, it's fun to watch, and I'm not surprised there's negligible audible difference.

Srini

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbyg0d1njk0&t=331s

HarlowTheFish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Interesting tone test

Postby HarlowTheFish » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:27 pm

Yeah, actually. The fact that the two pieces aren't joined properly, just held on by friction and pressure would make any difference even smaller. A wood glue (in a neck-through or set-neck) gets into the fibers and locks everything in place, and the physical connection of the screws in a bolt-on do the same. This is just like corking a wine bottle and really not representative.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:58 pm

I have been watching his videos for a couple of years now, and I believe that the reason he designed the neck portion shaped as it is, and not just a rectangle, is so that it is actually is applying force and pulling, basically acting like a wedge clamp… similar to what the screws would do in a bolt on. With the amount of clamping pressure that is holding it in place, and you can see how hard he had to pound on it from behind with a mallet, I feel like the difference between this type of tightly fitted, and under pressure joint, compared to, say, a set neck's looser joint with glue...at some point, these differences are "on paper", at best.

Besides, wood glue has some elasticity to it to, so you can't really look at it as some sort of perfect sonic interface material.

And like Srini in said, this is a pretty darned good analog for a neck through instrument, with different body wings simply along for the ride.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:36 pm

That's a fun video, for sure, and in a small way can anecdotally prove or disprove body wood affecting tone. It has a bolt-on neck joint, so there is technically a body wood. He could have done one better by using an even denser "body" wood piece, or even something like aluminum, to allow as much transfer to the body wings as possible. The human error of the test comes in with strumming; no human hand is consistent. However, it can still be representative :)

What I think he's come up with is an ingenious way to mass-produce a body that can be swapped onto the functional portion of the guitar, which would mean more consistent build times/quality, and the possibility to swap a different body in, depending on the look desired or even the ergonomics.

Somewhere, I was told by a friend (years ago) that they were building me a custom guitar that was basically a neck thru with bolted on leather-wrapped pieces of steel for "body wings." It was just an outline body. If only it were completed, 'cause I'd love to play it, as it was going to have an AP11 in the neck and C22T in the bridge.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Return to Tech Talk