I've had my new Kiesel for a whole week and I"M IN LOVE!

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

AxRookie
Gold Member
Gold Member

I've had my new Kiesel for a whole week and I"M IN LOVE!

Postby AxRookie » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:44 pm

After setting my new Kiesel guitar up the way I like (I like a very low action with no buzzing) and playing it for a week I can honestly say I LOVE THIS GUITAR!!!

It stays in tune like no other guitar I've seen or played and the neck profile is very comfortable, AND even unplugged the tone is amazing, The guitar is a bit on the heavy side but that's what I wanted, sustain, and it does, the strings ring for days! I can set the action very low without a hint of fret buzzing anywhere!

This guitar has exceeded my hopes and expectations, It had a bit of a rocky start but it has made up for that in spades!

I will have this guitar until the day I die! :rockon:

Srini
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: I've had my new Kiesel for a whole week and I"M IN LOVE!

Postby Srini » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:51 pm

That is gorgeous!! Congrats!

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:17 pm

One cannot go wrong with a Becker model, but a good double locking setup is inherently stable (emphasis on good). Have you previously owned any other Carvin or Kiesel models? If not, you'll be pleased to know that same quality extends to all the other models.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

AxRookie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby AxRookie » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:26 am

UnexplodedCow wrote:One cannot go wrong with a Becker model, but a good double locking setup is inherently stable (emphasis on good). Have you previously owned any other Carvin or Kiesel models? If not, you'll be pleased to know that same quality extends to all the other models.
No this is my first, I had seen Carvin guitars in the past but I never really looked at them more closely and until someone had brought Kiesel guitars to my attention after I had asked for help finding a neck-through guitar with a shorter scale length than a strat and a Floyd Rose, As soon as I saw the JB200C I knew if the quality was as good as the guitar looked my next guitar was going to be a Kiesel, After only having this guitar for essentially a week I find myself wanting one of their more compact headless models as well...

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:26 am

I have three headless types: a V6, a Z6X, and a ZB5. I really enjoy the Zeus body, and the "X trem" holds tune very well, depending on string type. Reinforced ball ends do well, and I've found the Ernie Ball M-Steel strings are the most stable string I've encountered with a headless. They required almost no break-in time, aside from a single adjustment a couple days after bringing them to pitch, and playing for hours.

The feel of the headless is a bit different. Most things are out of the way in a good way. I think sustain is improved, the aforementioned tuning stability, and weight is also lower. I prefer the Zeus body for ergonomics and upper fret access, but they're all quite good. The lock-down screws in the head can be a bit fiddly, and I ran into a couple that had burrs left on them, so I filed them down. That was the worst of it. Everything else has been stellar.

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:40 am

And if you want a 24.75" scale length, the Zeus is actually offered with that, but it's an option 50 and extra cost. Frank Gambale IIRC wanted a double-neck with it so they have the CNC profile for it in the shop. Just the Zeus though as far as as I know.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:21 am

HarlowTheFish wrote:And if you want a 24.75" scale length, the Zeus is actually offered with that, but it's an option 50 and extra cost. Frank Gambale IIRC wanted a double-neck with it so they have the CNC profile for it in the shop. Just the Zeus though as far as as I know.

Just the Zeus, and the double-neck Osiris (also for Frank).

And only in HH pickup config, if i remember right.

AxRookie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby AxRookie » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:47 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:And if you want a 24.75" scale length, the Zeus is actually offered with that, but it's an option 50 and extra cost. Frank Gambale IIRC wanted a double-neck with it so they have the CNC profile for it in the shop. Just the Zeus though as far as as I know.
YES that's exactly the scale length I want for a headless!

amispy
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby amispy » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:23 am

AxRookie wrote:After only having this guitar for essentially a week I find myself wanting one of their more compact headless models as well...

Beautiful guitar you ave there. Enjoy It!

I will warn you though. It's easy to get addicted to Carvins and Kiesels. Got my first Carvin in '86. Now I have 20 of 'em. :-)
I loved my first one for the same reasons you mentioned: great neck profile, stayed in tune better than any other guitar I'd played, sounded awesome.

Here's my Becker. Got her from the in-stock section.

https://www.kieselguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/142292
142292b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AE185, 2 x A6H, AB5, Bolt, Cobalt 750T, DC200T, 2 x DC7X, D6H, 2 x D6X, JB200C, JH6, LB75, PB5, V220M, KV6X, 2 x V59K

AxRookie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby AxRookie » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:16 am

That green is beautiful! I know a guy over at the guitar forums that just picked up a green Becker...

customaxe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby customaxe » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:11 pm

AxRookie wrote:After setting my new Kiesel guitar up the way I like (I like a very low action with no buzzing) and playing it for a week I can honestly say I LOVE THIS GUITAR!!!

It stays in tune like no other guitar I've seen or played and the neck profile is very comfortable, AND even unplugged the tone is amazing, The guitar is a bit on the heavy side but that's what I wanted, sustain, and it does, the strings ring for days! I can set the action very low without a hint of fret buzzing anywhere!

This guitar has exceeded my hopes and expectations, It had a bit of a rocky start but it has made up for that in spades!

I will have this guitar until the day I die! :rockon:

Nice one, always loved these models! Sustain is not really a matter of weight though, there are tons of factors that affect a guitar's sustain but super light guitars can definitely have better/longer sustain than heavier ones.

AxRookie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby AxRookie » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:45 pm

If everything is done right building a guitar and all things being equal mass can def help with sustain, The more immovable the two anchor points of the strings are the longer the string will vibrate, That's just physics, No "bell brass" or "stone" sustain block will give you more sustain than an equal volume of tungsten unless you make your sustain block out of something like Osmium, Iridium, Platinum, Rhenium, or Gold, Hell even Depleted uranium is less dense than Tungsten!

If you're looking for a diff tone then, by all means, try a sustain block made out of some exotic material BUT if you want sustain nothing currently being made is going to beat the sustain of a Tungsten sustain block (again all things being equal)...

DISCLAIMER #1 - Of course rigidity is very important and has a role to play BUT with everything in life there will always be trade-offs...

Don't believe me? Try making my exact JB200C guitar out of balsa wood and see how long it sustains...DISCLAIMER #2 - That's just a joke in case someone thought I was being serious with that one... lol

And I don't know if it's the upgraded Graph Tech Floyd Rose String Saver Saddles I used but this Floyd Rose tremolo stays in tune like no other FR I've ever seen or heard of, I can go nut's with it with dive bombs and pull-ups and bend strings until the cows come home and It's still in tune with no reset techniques like always pushing down on the tremolo arm after you've used the tremolo or bent some strings!

I've never had A Floyd that worked so good before? :rockon:

I'd like to think it's just that I'm so good at setting up a Floyd but I seriously doubt it, It's got to be something else... lol
Last edited by AxRookie on Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:11 pm

I'll second the tungsten block, and a slightly larger one will fit just fine. Yes, a standard thickness tungsten block weighs about the same as a double thickness brass block, just takes up less space, to allow for more vibrato movement. It also makes flutters much better. More mass means more inertia when it's moving, so it will flutter wider, and longer, than with a typical sustain block.

AxRookie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby AxRookie » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:16 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:I'll second the tungsten block, and a slightly larger one will fit just fine. Yes, a standard thickness tungsten block weighs about the same as a double thickness brass block, just takes up less space, to allow for more vibrato movement. It also makes flutters much better. More mass means more inertia when it's moving, so it will flutter wider, and longer, than with a typical sustain block.
How's your sustain with a tungsten block?

Spoiler alert - I already know the answer! lol

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:53 pm

Mine is on a mid 2000s Bolt+C, so bolt-neck; not quite the same as a neck-thru, though tests that I've seen conclude the bolt-on joint actually improves sustain. I imagine the clamping force involved is the primary reason for that, and mass from the metal screws. Mine also weighs around 12 pounds, as the body wood is insanely dense. The only other guitar I own that beats this one in sustain is my pink Z6X (also dense ash body, but a cocobolo neck).

Here's a picture of mine:

AxRookie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby AxRookie » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:25 pm

Love that color!!! :woot:

What's the neck joint like?

This place called "Fast Guitars" makes their guitars with a very advanced neck joint, The most advanced neck joint I've ever seen... Once the neck is in place it is secured with only two inline bolts because of the design (tapered tenon) string tension only tighten the joint rather than pull it open!

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:36 pm

[quote="AxRookie"]Love that color!!! :woot:

What's the neck joint like?

This place called "Fast Guitars" makes their guitars with a very advanced neck joint, The most advanced neck joint I've ever seen...

Pretty sure all the older Kiesel/Carvin models have a contoured 4-bolt kinda like the Fender American Elite ones, with the corner cut out.

Have you seen the Tom Anderson neck joint? It's a three-plane contact (bottom+diagonal sides) with two offset bolts so literally every part of the joint is used for downward pressure. The bevels also help it stay centered.

droptop_trnsblue12.jpg

Not the most contoured, but it's so well engineered that it gets my inner design geek all hot and bothered.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AxRookie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby AxRookie » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:52 pm

tapered tenon comes from modern wooden chair construction, what's great about it is the more of a load you put on it the tighter the joint gets to the point you don't even need the bolts anymore, What would happen with the Tom Anderson neck joint if you strung up the guitar and took the neck bolts out?

I really like the looks of that joint, def no neck shifting around with that joint! A standard fender like neck joint is a joke compared to that Tom Anderson neck joint!

I'm getting a little hot under the collar looking at that joint myself... lol

This is the picture that sold me on my new JB200C...

What's guitar-related that's sexier than that???

AxRookie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby AxRookie » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:16 pm

I must say this is an equally beautiful guitar IMO!

Did you get the "fat" tungsten block or the standard tungsten block for more range of motion?

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:34 pm

Yup, the Anderson neck joint is definitely a step away from the Fender design. Makes more sense, too, provided the tooling is consistent. Back in the day, I don't think it was, but with modern CNC work, sure. I'd love to test the stability, but the design really makes sense, and the increased surface area would likely make for less vibration damping.

The older Carvins have a "skinny" standard four bolt pattern, no offset or real contouring of the heel. A Fender neck and swap in, but the different bolt pattern would require filling and re-drilling the holes.

Here's a rear shot of my guitar.

Here's an extra shot of just the body (different guitar, same bolt pattern). I'll say the neck pocked on mine is *tight* to the point of my adjusting slightly, and chipping some paint. Fender USA would be jealous at how snug the joint is. The only way I can see to improve would be to use machine-screw inserts, increasing clamping force (it definitely works).

download.jpg

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars