New "Thanos" headless JB/SB style bass, including multiscale

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Bass Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

New "Thanos" headless JB/SB style bass, including multiscale

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:19 pm

New bass!

Poised to be a jazz style base, single coil pickups. The body shape reminds me a lot of their SB4000 and SB5000 bass that they had a few years back.

14" radius, 33.5"-35" scale.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.
Last edited by spudmunkey on Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: New "Thanos" headless JB/SB style bass, including multiscale

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:35 pm

Screenshot_20200115-153451_Instagram.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:42 pm

The name "Thanos" is not from Greek mythology, it is a character created by Jim Starlin and owned by Marvel Comics/Disney.

The body shape is the old Sekou Bunch model.

The tuning knobs hang off the tail and are thus not protected from accidental impacts.

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:52 pm

Yeah I agree, the name might be trouble and those tuners don't look like they're in a good spot. I like the look overall though.

helldorado
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby helldorado » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:55 pm

I think this makes 3 of the last 4 new models to be released were headless?

Not for me, but I'm sure somebody will dig it.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:22 pm

I think its great. And it ought to sell well. The SB was a fan favorite and even won an award at NAMM.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:26 pm

I don't see the knobs as an issue. They are still going to be harder to bump than headstock tuners and they don't have a big tail on them, creating mechanical advantage for the bumps.

When I had a Vader for a few days, I wondered if those knobs would be a headache. But they aren't!

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:06 pm

Toptube wrote:I don't see the knobs as an issue. They are still going to be harder to bump than headstock tuners and they don't have a big tail on them, creating mechanical advantage for the bumps.

When I had a Vader for a few days, I wondered if those knobs would be a headache. But they aren't!

The Vader bass knobs, even on the long-scale model, are protected by the strap buttons when you put it down like against a wall or a cab. On the Thanos, they just completely stick out (you can see the strap button next to it in the pics), so if you do that you're putting the weight of the entire bass on the tuners. Sure, you might say to just use a stand, but it's the same if it's in a gig bag vertically too. It's not an instant catastrophic hardware failure, but it puts a lot of undue stress on the most fragile parts of the headless hardware.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:46 pm

After having a Vader in my hands, I don't think the knobs are fragile. A gig bag or case situation should be a non-issue and still probably more robust than classic tuners.

As far as leaning your bass on stuff: I learned the hard way to have a stand or lay my bass down flat on its case or even just slip it into the case every time I need to set the bass down. Rather than lean it on a cab or a wall (And classic tuners present challenges for wall leaning, as well. Or even laying flat on carpet floor.).
For me personally, the Vader's winged rear wasn't an advantage because I was never setting it on its butt. The bridge is otherwise still plenty exposed for bumps. But as I said, those knobs are not exactly delicate and in my opinion, less prone to tuning issues from bumps, than classic headstock tuners.

I think the Thanos is great. And for people who are absolutely worried about the bridge-----well they have the Osiris, Vader, and Zeus!

TTW

Postby TTW » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:34 am

I ordered an Osiris on New Years Eve, so I'm really looking forward to get it.

However, this would have been a great alternative - especially in the 5 String multiscale version. Due to the small body, the straplock is too far right for me on the Vader and the Zeus, but this one seems to fit perfect. the new metallic red finish is so stunning!

Really a great bass with many potential for another Gear Acquisition Syndrom action :D

RichSnyder

Postby RichSnyder » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:57 am

These look great, I suspect the name will change shortly, but whatever it's called it's very high on my list for next gear purchase.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:05 am

The semi-chrome finish with the trans red was super sexy on the reveal video, when he moved it around in the light. It looks just like how I imagined it in my head. Is it worth another $100 over a normal trans color? Maybe...but i also wonder what it would look like *without* the trans color :mrgreen:

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:05 pm

spudmunkey wrote:The semi-chrome finish with the trans red was super sexy on the reveal video, when he moved it around in the light. It looks just like how I imagined it in my head. Is it worth another $100 over a normal trans color? Maybe...but i also wonder what it would look like *without* the trans color :mrgreen:

Wait wait wait is that a chrome base coat with a transparent color on top?

You mean I can finally get a proper Lake Placid Blue Kiesel?

Jeff, you spoil me for choice then beat me for my money.

micmil

Postby micmil » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:26 pm

amon wrote:The name "Thanos" is not from Greek mythology, it is a character created by Jim Starlin and owned by Marvel Comics/Disney.

Thanos is a Greek surname that well predates Marvel Comics. There is absolutely no possibility of market dilution or confusion. Additionally, there are Marvel characters named Zeus, Osiris, and Aries but no action taken on those. Because they existed well before Marvel.

Bob C
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Bob C » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:28 am

Are headless basses and guitars all the rage anywhere besides at Kiesel? If that's what people are into, fine. But I'm surprised at how abundant they are with this company.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:34 am

Strandberg sort of tapped the keg. Once larger reliable hardware manufacturers came on board with hardware available as parts, and proved there's at least a bit of a market, the flood gates opened including more companies offering value options. Even value brands like Harley Benton have a couple coming out (if they arent out already).

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:59 pm

micmil wrote:Thanos is a Greek surname that well predates Marvel Comics. There is absolutely no possibility of market dilution or confusion.

I'm sure Disney's lawyers will agree with your assessment.

micmil wrote:Additionally, there are Marvel characters named Zeus, Osiris, and Aries but no action taken on those. Because they existed well before Marvel.

Yes. Because those are public domain mythological characters. Other comic book companies than Marvel (even their Distinguished Competition) have published the adventures of Thor, as one example.

mbardu
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby mbardu » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:06 pm

I mean, Disney doesn't seem to have had a problem with the Vader for the last few years so....

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:27 pm

Bob C wrote:Are headless basses and guitars all the rage anywhere besides at Kiesel? If that's what people are into, fine. But I'm surprised at how abundant they are with this company.

Its also worth noting that Kiesel is small enough and self owned and run, that its much easier for them to be aggressive on their offerings. As such, they offer more shapes than most brands. various shapes of headless you can't really get anywhere else.

Heck, the past couple of years, Kiesel has released more new models each year, than most brands do in 5 years or more.

Ibanez really seems to be reacting to Kiesel, the past couple of years. Many of their wood choices and finishes, strike an obvious resemblance to some of Kiesel's most popular stuff (Jeff has commented that Ibanez techs often sneak into his NAMM booth after hours, to take measurements and closeup pics). And now Ibanez has headless guitars and basses.

micmil

Postby micmil » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:30 pm

amon wrote:
micmil wrote:Thanos is a Greek surname that well predates Marvel Comics. There is absolutely no possibility of market dilution or confusion.

I'm sure Disney's lawyers will agree with your assessment.

micmil wrote:Additionally, there are Marvel characters named Zeus, Osiris, and Aries but no action taken on those. Because they existed well before Marvel.

Yes. Because those are public domain mythological characters. Other comic book companies than Marvel (even their Distinguished Competition) have published the adventures of Thor, as one example.

You seem ill-informed on trademarks. That's fine. Most people are. It's boring and you really only need to know about it if you deal with it regularly.

Disney does not manufacture guitars. Kiesel does not make superhero movies. For trademark infringement to occur there are numerous hurdles that must all be leapt at once. Ultimately though it all comes down to one question: "Is a consumer likely to be confused?" No, nobody is going to confuse an 8' tall purple intergalactic destroyer of half of all living things with a guitar.

Starlin's character's name comes from Thanatos and Eros. https://www.vulture.com/2014/07/thanos- ... ainer.html Incidentally, this informs the comic Thanos's love of the literal Death.

Athanasius, from which the real world name Thanos is derived, has existed for millennia. Thanos is one modernized version.

I think Kiesel has a pretty strong case for non-infringement given the fact that none of this has anything to do with anything else. So strong, in fact, that there is literally nothing to worry about because there's no way even a strongarm Disney lawyer would be stupid enough to issue that C&D and if they did Kiesel would have a line of attorneys holding their hands up to take the case on for free because it would be such a slam dunk defense Disney would end up paying them.

Return to Kiesel Basses / Carvin Basses