Pickups stuck in body - extraction?

General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

noodler

Pickups stuck in body - extraction?

Postby noodler » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:07 pm

I picked up a used Kiesel AH7 from GC. The pickups are not stock. I wanted to see what brand/model they were, but they are jammed into the pickup cavity. Kiesels are known to have tight pup cavities, some pickup brands need to have their tabs filed to get them to fit. Whoever put these in used brute force to cram them in. The screws are superfluous at this point because these suckers are crammed in and don't move at all. How the #$@*(! do I get them out?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Pickups stuck in body - extraction?

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:18 pm

Do you have any of those sets of tiny precision screwdrivers, or an eyeglass screwdriver? Something small enough to get under the inside edge of the screw hole(s) to pry it up? Or...are there other holes that are threaded? You could partially drive a machine screw into those to use as a handle to pull them out. :think:

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:03 pm

Get gorilla tape, make a loop of tape, and see if you can use it to slowly inch the pickups out.

or you could try some high strength dual sided mounting tape like this stuff from Scotch. It REALLY sticks, as its meant to hold some weight. That would work even better than duct tape, to try and pull these out.
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Extrem ... 41&sr=8-13

stick it on and let it sit for a few minutes to really set a hold. You can even lightly blast it with a hair dryer.

micmil

Postby micmil » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:45 pm

noodler wrote:I picked up a used Kiesel AH7 from GC. The pickups are not stock. I wanted to see what brand/model they were, but they are jammed into the pickup cavity. Kiesels are known to have tight pup cavities, some pickup brands need to have their tabs filed to get them to fit. Whoever put these in used brute force to cram them in. The screws are superfluous at this point because these suckers are crammed in and don't move at all. How the #$@*(! do I get them out?

If they crammed hard enough, you'll have to use equally dumb maneuvers to uncram them. I've had to do this a few times on a mutt with a Washburn body I have. The cavities are sized for direct mount like the Aries, and FLIPPING NOBODY sizes direct mount cavities right.

What I've found works best is use something to protect the finish around the cavity and use the cavity edge as a fulcrum and large flathead screwdriver as a lever to bend the mounting tabs inward slightly. It doesn't take much at all and unless you go full-on Hulk Smash you won't hurt anything.

At least on the body I have the cavity was routed with a bit of a draft angle so it's really only at the very bottom the pickup can get stuck. No idea if an Aries is the same way though.

Return to Tech Talk