fascinating comparison

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

fascinating comparison

Postby dbone » Sat May 16, 2020 1:37 pm

This is a fascinating Warmoth comparison of three unfinished tele guitar bodies of equal weight ( swamp ash, alder and mohogany ) where they swapped all electronics and neck for each recording. The results are fascinating. Enjoy

https://youtu.be/7k_A8GhN0L8
dbones Lefties
SH550 M22SD M22N
DC150 M22T/M22V, DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N, DC600 M22SD/M22V, DC800 A80B/A80N
AE185 C22T/C22N/Piezo, AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
CT7M KL14B/KL14N, Bolt C22T/AP11/AP11, AC375, CL450, AC275K, SB5000 J99A pups

DannyB819
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: fascinating comparison

Postby DannyB819 » Sun May 17, 2020 9:05 pm

Definitely noticeable differences in all three, but nothing that EQ on the amp can't handle.

What I never understood about the whole "tone wood" discussion is when people ask "what is the best for X genre of music" or "what woods make the best tone for a guitar" type questions. In virtually every style of music you'll see players playing a variety of different woods and construction styles. Classic rock? Blues? Metal? Djent? Prog? Funk? Every single style of music sees players playing with all different types of woods, scale lengths, and constructions.

What's most important is that you:
1 - Know how to play the freaking instrument. Nothing does more for your tone than knowing how to play. Take that dullard "The Tone King" for example. The guy can't play to save is darn life and yet he's got all the gear money can buy (or all the gear that misguided companies give him). He sounds the same regardless of what he plays because his hands are terrible at playing the instrument and his ears are terrible and can't dial in a good sound.
2 - Have a well-made instrument.
3 - Use the right output of pickup for the style of music you want to play.
4 - Use the right amp and/or pedals for the type of music you want to play. So many times I see people worried about their "tone wood" and how it will affect their sound and then they plug in to a garbage cheap amp.

Just learn how to play. Everything else takes care of itself after that.

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: fascinating comparison

Postby canon_mutant » Tue May 19, 2020 12:02 am

I am absolutely positive I could $uck equally well on all three bodies and, on a good day, . . . sound reasonably decent.

Slightly more impressed with the hog body across the range playing dirty which I "think" was just adding a bit more to the mids that the other 2 woods lacked. Otherwise, not much difference to my generally pretty good ear.

Now what? :think:

Finish the Dad Blam thing already . . . It has gone from 3 to 2 on the bench. That is progress. :roll:

Return to Other Gear