Kiesel #7- CAM6 with Resin Filled Buckeye Top (10-16wks)

Expecting some new gear from Kiesel Guitars? Post here!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

theleftylair
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Kiesel #7- CAM6 with Resin Filled Buckeye Top (10-16wks)

Postby theleftylair » Mon May 18, 2020 4:17 pm

Well I finally did it. After many hours spent over this past weekend first trying to forget about it completely then finally immersing myself in the idea, including mocking up custom engraved truss rod covers and back plates. I decided to move forward this afternoon once Jeff confirmed that they could do raw tone on the buckeye top. Kinda wish I ordered it during a Pick Your Top live so that I could see Jeff cut it, but maybe he'll do a video when he cuts it since it is such a unique top.

Here are the final specs:

CAM6H CAMERON LIDDELL SCB w/HIPS
    L LEFTHAND MODEL
    3WB 3PC WALNUT w/BLOODWOOD
    AAT ANTIQUE ASH TREATMENT
    ASH SWAMP ASH BODY
    BWF BLOODWOOD FRETBOARD
    HMFB HEADSTOCK MATCH FRETBOARD
    NIN NO TOP INLAYS-SIDE DOTS ON
    PTB INSTALL Thorium Bridge P.U
    TN TUNG OIL FINISH BACK OF NE
    RTF RAW TONE ULTRA-THIN SATIN
    SWT SPECIAL WOOD TOP - SEE JEFF
    SWT- RTBE RESIN BUCKEYE.
    CC- DELETE 5WAY. DELETE TONE. VOL IN NORMAL POS.
    CSF VERY THIN TRANS BLACK BURS
    STF STAINLESS STEEL FRETS
    NPD DELETE NECK PICKUP
    CC <Custom Control Layout>
    PPB PICKUP POLES BLACK
    34 PUSH PULL TONE COIL SPLITT
    BC BLACK CHROME PLATED HARDWA
    009 INSTALL ELIXER 9-42 STRING
    BL BLACK LOGO

Very excited for this one. It was difficult to decide on the finish. I was torn between regular AAT, blacked out ash, or AAT with some trans black. I didn't want much of this beautiful resin filled top to be covered but I wanted the bevel, back and sides to have black on them. The final decision was a very thin trans black burst. I sent Mike this mockup and he helped with this decision; I trust his judgment. He's helped me with every Kiesel I've owned.

CAM6 w_ Buckeye variation #2.jpg

This is probably going to be the "most Kiesel" Kiesel that I own. So I want to give the guitar a little bit of a theme. Now I'm a man of science, but I felt like going a little mystical with this one. I mocked up a tarot-inspired truss rod cover and backplate design. I sent the designs over to Forbidden Engravings, who I hope can make them for me. My plan is to do them in Bloodwood. The "Eight of Wands" tarot card can be interpreted as representing the last opportunity to create a perfect work. It resonated with me so I decided to run with it. Here are those mockups:

Eight of Wands.jpg

Truss Rod Cover Mockup #2.png

Also thinking about having a custom engraved pickup cover made, but I gotta find somebody to do that. Haven't really looked much. If anybody knows of a place please let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by theleftylair on Wed May 20, 2020 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Builds (of course lefties): Double-Neck Osiris, HD-FG2, CAM6, and DCM6 ///Past Kiesels: CS624, HH2 (Fretless), and CC275
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/theleftylair/

Jack'O'Licious
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Re: Kiesel #7- CAM6 with Resin Filled Buckeye Top

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Wed May 20, 2020 5:16 am

I am sure you have heard of Bare Knuckle Pickups.

They have some engraving of their own but I thought I saw somewhere you could send in something for custom engraving there.
Kiesel's:
2017 DCM8, 2016 A7H

Other's:
Cheap Peavey Strat (1st axe ever), Ernie Ball JP13, 2018 Dingwall NG-3 5 string, 2017 Warwick RB Corvette 6 string

theleftylair
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Re: Kiesel #7- CAM6 with Resin Filled Buckeye Top

Postby theleftylair » Wed May 20, 2020 7:07 am

Jack'O'Licious wrote:I am sure you have heard of Bare Knuckle Pickups.

They have some engraving of their own but I thought I saw somewhere you could send in something for custom engraving there.

Thanks! Been awhile since I looked a Bare Knuckle. I'll take a peak and see if they are still offering it.
Current Builds (of course lefties): Double-Neck Osiris, HD-FG2, CAM6, and DCM6 ///Past Kiesels: CS624, HH2 (Fretless), and CC275

theleftylair
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Re: Kiesel #7- CAM6 with Resin Filled Buckeye Top (10-16wks)

Postby theleftylair » Sun May 24, 2020 2:46 pm

I ended up going with a company in NY called DarkMoon (https://darkmoon.nyc/). They are also doing the pickups in another build of mine. Mark, over there at DarkMoon, was able to engrave the pickup quickly for me and at a great price.

Return to The Waiting Room