Neck-Thru Aries

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

helldorado
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Neck-Thru Aries

Postby helldorado » Wed May 20, 2020 9:20 am

I expected spud to post this up, but I think he's still in shock that his guitar is almost done. :lol: I didn't watch the live reveal so I didn't get any special specs or features. But here it is.

98342564_571174140263767_5206952958164112059_n.jpg
98114102_2891718817602630_9108075707925060770_n.jpg
97964992_154616029404821_3708389711892903855_n.jpg
97896886_234946187793228_6121297047101370203_n.jpg
97351994_695221761305519_572603601217858853_n.jpg
99059100_2652098015073484_7346928244303593472_o.jpg
99293876_2652098121740140_2801733370499825664_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by helldorado on Wed May 20, 2020 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

ElfDude

Re: Neck-Thru Aries

Postby ElfDude » Wed May 20, 2020 9:31 am

I watched the live reveal until I saw what the new model was.
Then shrugged and shut it off.
It's cool... but nothing I need these days. :)
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, Bolt T, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed May 20, 2020 9:44 am

I only have a couple more on my wish list. One of them was a neck-through. Even though I already have an Aries, the Neck-Through Aries just jumped to the front of the pack*, ahead of a DC** and SCB.

*unless there's a 75 anniversary K series v2.0 coming...the k series is close, but not *quite* there for me, design-wise

**DC127, with that lovely chamfered perimter edge detail still holds a special place in my heart...but the Aries is so comfortable...

mbardu
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby mbardu » Wed May 20, 2020 9:55 am

ElfDude wrote:I watched the live reveal until I saw what the new model was.
Then shrugged and shut it off.
It's cool... but nothing I need these days. :)

Haha same here :lol:

Some people complain about the headless model creation process (they just took guitar xyz and chopped off the head) but here it's truly a step beyond that:
*Step 1: Build a DC600
*Step 2: Press "Aries Bevel" on the CNC machine

That said, the reason I'm not interested is that i already have a couple of DCs.
Were I to order a DC without a top today, this might be a good choice. But I would just have called it a new option on the DC600 (they already have the DC bevel option, this would just be a different Aries Bevel option)- not a brand new model.

I thought they moved away from separate model names for simple option differences (DC127/125/135/145/200/400/Anniversary/Walnut etc etc) and this is a step backwards.

mbardu
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby mbardu » Wed May 20, 2020 10:08 am

spudmunkey wrote:I only have a couple more on my wish list. One of them was a neck-through. Even though I already have an Aries, the Neck-Through Aries just jumped to the front of the pack*, ahead of a DC** and SCB.

*unless there's a 75 anniversary K series v2.0 coming...the k series is close, but not *quite* there for me, design-wise

**DC127, with that lovely chamfered perimter edge detail still holds a special place in my heart...but the Aries is so comfortable...

But it is a DC600 though. Just with the new AAB "Add Aries Bevel" option :lol:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed May 20, 2020 10:13 am

mbardu wrote:

Which is easier to say, though?
1: Neck through Aries
2: DC, with an optional Aries-style Bevel, which is different than the other optional Vader-style bevel.

:lol:

I see it as a logical step, though, to being able to offer neck-construction options on various models, like so many other other builders.

helldorado
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby helldorado » Wed May 20, 2020 10:20 am

I was a little surprised at the hardcore leg humping going on in the FB group. I've always said Jeff could take a dump on a livestream, bevel it, and there's a fervent subset of the group that would love it and call it the best guitar ever. :lol:

I don't really see how it's a "new" model TBH. I've always felt that one of Kiesel's shortcomings in their lineup is that certain things like neck joint and scale are tied explicitly to the model. A lot of other custom shops let you choose the body shape and those construction features independently. But it's never looked like Kiesel has designed their CNC programs to be modular.

If this had been available when I bought my AM7 or DC600, I might've gone with the neck-through Aries, particularly since when I ordered my DC600, I didn't have an Aries at the time. But this isn't anything that will get me to open my wallet now.

mbardu
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby mbardu » Wed May 20, 2020 10:20 am

spudmunkey wrote:
mbardu wrote:

Which is easier to say, though?
1: Neck through Aries
2: DC, with an optional Aries-style Bevel, which is different than the other optional Vader-style bevel.

:lol:

I'd say the option that makes the most sense is
0: DC

Like, just "DC600". You don't have to go about listing all possible options when you describe a given guitar now, do you :lol: ?
A beveled Aries with evertune pointy headstock fat neck 6 string is different compared to a 7 string 3PB flamed top Aries bevel delete with a floyd, yet they're both "Aries".

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed May 20, 2020 10:24 am

helldorado wrote:I don't really see how it's a "new" model TBH.

Oh, for sure...it's one of those things you get used to, though, with kiesel. The Will SWan and Mark okubo sig models were both "new models" even though they are just feature bundles on standard models. The SCB was a "new model". The Lee mcKinney was a "new model" even though it's "just 1/2 Osiris, 1/2 Zeus". The Theos is just a Delos, pickguard delete, BBE edge. Along those lines, a neck-through version of a model would be a "new model", I guess. :think: It just requires considering it within the Kiesel POV, rather than the Industry-wide perspective.

mbardu
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby mbardu » Wed May 20, 2020 10:49 am

spudmunkey wrote:
helldorado wrote:I don't really see how it's a "new" model TBH.

Oh, for sure...it's one of those things you get used to, though, with kiesel. The Will SWan and Mark okubo sig models were both "new models" even though they are just feature bundles on standard models. The SCB was a "new model". The Lee mcKinney was a "new model" even though it's "just 1/2 Osiris, 1/2 Zeus". The Theos is just a Delos, pickguard delete, BBE edge. Along those lines, a neck-through version of a model would be a "new model", I guess. :think: It just requires considering it within the Kiesel POV, rather than the Industry-wide perspective.

The signatures are a bit different. "Option packs" are not really considered and presented as new models when they are just option packages (FG2, NZ, WS, MO etc). Those are grouped with the actual model in the list of guitars on the website.
Signatures are only separate when they have a unique shape, construction, or feature.

In your example, an entirely different shape (SCB), no pickguard/routing/different jack and options (Theos), or for signatures a unique shape (that I consider one of the best and am pretty bummed it can't be had otherwise than in the LM signature) are clearly new models.

A neck-through version of a model would be a "new model" yes indeed. And that would be the case here if you had no Aries-shaped double cut neck through 25.5 scale in the catalog. But that's not the case here because the DC600 is a thing. So it's just a DC600 with a bevel :lol: .
Or at least that's what I would say because I would bet the "Aries neck through" will have the exact construction of the DC600 (neck joint aside, including angle of the headstock, height of the fretboard vs bridge etc) rather than that of the Aries. But maybe I'm wrong and they designed a new neck-through model from scratch that just happens to share the body shape and scale length with the DC600.

theleftylair
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby theleftylair » Wed May 20, 2020 10:58 am

helldorado wrote:If this had been available when I bought my AM7 or DC600, I might've gone with the neck-through Aries, particularly since when I ordered my DC600, I didn't have an Aries at the time. But this isn't anything that will get me to open my wallet now.

Second this! Can't really imagine getting one unless I really had the Aries-bug. Although I imagine that many people will elect to get the neck-thru over bolt-on if they are going the Aries route. But that's just my guess.
Current Builds (of course lefties): Double-Neck Osiris, HD-FG2, CAM6, and DCM6 ///Past Kiesels: CS624, HH2 (Fretless), and CC275
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/theleftylair/

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed May 20, 2020 11:02 am

mbardu wrote:The signatures are a bit different. "Option packs" are not really considered and presented as new models when they are just option packages (FG2, NZ, WS, MO etc). Those are grouped with the actual model in the list of guitars on the website.
Signatures are only separate when they have a unique shape, construction, or feature.

A valid point. That's also a relatively new phenomenon (Neil Zaza was it's own line, for example, and not grouped in with the CT, until one of he last tweaks to that page. Still didn't stop jeff from showcasing the WS and MO as "I've got two new models for you..." :)

mbardu wrote: But maybe I'm wrong and they designed a new neck-through model from scratch that just happens to share the body shape and scale length with the DC600.

I'm curious as well. When I get some spare time, i do want to try an overalay with the new models to see if they are closer to DC or Aries in shape, because they are slightly different:

mbardu
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby mbardu » Wed May 20, 2020 11:36 am

spudmunkey wrote:I'm curious as well. When I get some spare time, i do want to try an overalay with the new models to see if they are closer to DC or Aries in shape, because they are slightly different:

That would be helpful.

That one particular gif is weird to me.
Check how the headstock distorts. Could it just be an angle difference in the pics and the body of the two guitars is actually closer than it looks?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed May 20, 2020 11:43 am

I think the DC is just more upright, while the Aries is leaning back more, making the tilted-back headstock seem shorter. :think:

Jack'O'Licious
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Wed May 20, 2020 1:55 pm

Even with comparisons it still looks like a DC with a bevel on the bass side to me lol.

Still a cool model though imo.
Kiesel's:
2017 DCM8, 2016 A7H

Other's:
Cheap Peavey Strat (1st axe ever), Ernie Ball JP13, 2018 Dingwall NG-3 5 string, 2017 Warwick RB Corvette 6 string

mbardu
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby mbardu » Wed May 20, 2020 2:56 pm

Jack'O'Licious wrote:Even with comparisons it still looks like a DC with a bevel on the bass side to me lol.

That's because that's literally what it is :D
And jut like you said- not that there's anything wrong with that, au contraire.

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Wed May 20, 2020 5:34 pm

Okay wait I'm really confused. Is this

1. A new option on the DC, or
2. A new option on the Aries, or
3. A new model entirely?

Vote now on your phones.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed May 20, 2020 5:49 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:Okay wait I'm really confused. Is this

3. A new model entirely?

Vote now on your phones.

*note: additional carrier charges may apply

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Wed May 20, 2020 6:40 pm

spudmunkey wrote:
HarlowTheFish wrote:Okay wait I'm really confused. Is this

3. A new model entirely?

Vote now on your phones.

*note: additional carrier charges may apply

*also that one charge where we say it's free but lol jk we're just charging you a hundo next month on your bill

NGL though that looks like a super nice axe and while I really want something a bit more traditional, I could be convinced to get one of these without much trouble.

Without, umm, any trouble, really.

I do need to pick up a new amp (AMT Stonehead 50) first though, but hopefully I'll be placing a new order by the end of the year.

Quivering Wrist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Quivering Wrist » Fri May 22, 2020 4:48 am

Here is the problem that I see.

Original Aries you get free tung oil on back of neck.

Now you have to not only pay upcharge for neckthru you also have to pay $60 for the tung oil.

I don't see the point in this model now

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars