Carvin DC700 - Information

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

diegohammett

Carvin DC700 - Information

Postby diegohammett » Thu May 21, 2020 11:45 am

Hi guys, i'm new around here, i'm from Argentina. I need some information about a Carvin DC700 that was offered to me. The guitar is this:

The seller send me this information about the guitar construction, i already have sent an email to kiesel about it but for now i have no answer.

Things that i need to confirm is the price point showed in last image, from stock came with EMG 707 and also a 18V mod?

What is your opinion about this guitar?

Thank you all.
Last edited by diegohammett on Thu May 21, 2020 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Carvin DC700 - Information

Postby spudmunkey » Thu May 21, 2020 12:00 pm

Is that price USD? That would be WAAAAAY too high, if that is in US currency.

All of those specs look like they match exactly, except for the knobs, although those were probably replaced when the owner replaced the pickups with the EMGs.

No Carvin/Kiesel has ever come with EMGs standard, and no electric guitar from Carvin had an18v system. That was likely done by the owner, or there's a slim chance they sent the pickups in to Carvin and had them installed at the factory, but that was much less common back then, than it is today.

diegohammett

Postby diegohammett » Thu May 21, 2020 12:31 pm

Yes, actually that email is supposed to came from kiesel with that price in USD. The current owner said to me that the EMGs and the 18v Mod was made in Kiesel but i think that is unproven. This model in that year (2012 according to the owner) came with active PuPs?

Thanks for you reply.
Last edited by diegohammett on Thu May 21, 2020 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu May 21, 2020 12:39 pm

diegohammett wrote:Yes, actually that email is supposed to came from kiesel with that price in USD. The current owner said to me that the EMGs and the 18v Mod was made in Kiesel but i think that is unproven. This model in that year (2012 according to the owner) came with active PuPs?

Thanks for you reply.

In 2012, that model did come with active pickups, but they were Carvin's own A70 pickups. It's possible the original purchaser may have sent EMGs in to Carvin to install when the guitar was built.

Even with using current pricing, which has increased many times since 2012, I can only get the price for a brand new one, up to $2400 with all of the rest of those specs, including the hard shell case, and Kiesels' current active pickups (the Polatiry pickups, which are are a 9v system)

diegohammett

Postby diegohammett » Thu May 21, 2020 12:50 pm

spudmunkey wrote:
diegohammett wrote:Yes, actually that email is supposed to came from kiesel with that price in USD. The current owner said to me that the EMGs and the 18v Mod was made in Kiesel but i think that is unproven. This model in that year (2012 according to the owner) came with active PuPs?

Thanks for you reply.

In 2012, that model did come with active pickups, but they were Carvin's own A70 pickups. It's possible the original purchaser may have sent EMGs in to Carvin to install when the guitar was built.

Even with using current pricing, which has increased many times since 2012, I can only get the price for a brand new one, up to $2400 with all of the rest of those specs, including the hard shell case, and Kiesels' current active pickups (the Polatiry pickups, which are are a 9v system)

Ok great info, i'm little worried because he's asking to trade my Mesa MK V 25 with 1X12 Cabinet and i have no idea about this kind of prices with a Custom Shop product, besides that in my country the prices are always way more higher than the originals.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu May 21, 2020 1:11 pm

diegohammett wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:

Thanks for you reply.

Ok great info, i'm little worried because he's asking to trade my Mesa MK V 25 with 1X12 Cabinet and i have no idea about this kind of prices with a Custom Shop product, besides that in my country the prices are always way more higher than the originals.

Back in 2012, Carvin used to have internationational dealers, so that price might have included the dealer mark-up from whatever country he was from, even if it's still meant to express USD. I suppose that could explain why the price was so high. However, when buying something used, whatever the person paid for it previously shouldn't matter: it's all about what it is worth now.

Unfortunately, i don't know enough about amplifiers to know if that's a good trade or not for sure...but I suspect your amp is worth more.

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Thu May 21, 2020 1:23 pm

diegohammett wrote:Ok great info, i'm little worried because he's asking to trade my Mesa MK V 25 with 1X12 Cabinet and i have no idea about this kind of prices with a Custom Shop product, besides that in my country the prices are always way more higher than the originals.

That might be the prices including import fees and local taxes. I know for some EU buyers with VAT and import fees the price can go up some 20-30%, and AR might be similar. Because Kiesel doesn't have local distributors these days, any local added costs are paid by the buyer on delivery, not to Kiesel directly.

spudmonkey wrote:Back in 2012, Carvin used to have internationational dealers, so that price might have included the dealer mark-up from whatever country he was from, even if it's still meant to express USD. I suppose that could explain why the price was so high. However, when buying something used, whatever the person paid for it previously shouldn't matter: it's all about what it is worth now.

Unfortunately, i don't know enough about amplifiers to know if that's a good trade or not for sure...but I suspect your amp is worth more.

As Spud mentioned, if there was a dealer involved, they'd be including all the import costs and their own markup, which would raise the price. As far as whether it's a good trade or not, here in the US a Mark V 25 runs about $1300, and the Mesa 1x12s are about $450 or so - I don't know what the local pricing is in Argentina, but for $1750USD you could easily get a brand new Kiesel (maybe with a bit less eye candy, but just as playable), and with a bit of digging for the right deal, get something comparable options-wise for way less (I've seen blinged out DC700s from that era around $1200-1400USD on Ebay and Reverb several times). So financially you're getting boned a bit, but finding a Kiesel/Carvin in Argentina is probably hard already and y'all already get boned by the import fees and taxes (I have family in Brazil, where back in the day it was cheaper to buy a flight to Miami, get a hotel room for a week, go sightseeing, and stop at Best Buy to get a PS4 than it was to just buy one in Brazil).

Whether it's a good value trade depends - if the Mark V doesn't get a whole lot of use, but the DC would, then it might be worth it for you, but really I wouldn't go for it unless he'd trade for just the head - asking for the cab too is a bit much.

Jack'O'Licious
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Fri May 22, 2020 5:19 am

I agree with Harlow, that is not a fair trade. No way that guitar is anywhere close to $3000 USD, no matter how much the other owner paid for it.
Kiesel's:
2017 DCM8, 2016 A7H

Other's:
Cheap Peavey Strat (1st axe ever), Ernie Ball JP13, 2018 Dingwall NG-3 5 string, 2017 Warwick RB Corvette 6 string

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars