Closest Kiesel Pickups to Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, ChrisH, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick, peb

jayhawknavy02

Closest Kiesel Pickups to Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz

Postby jayhawknavy02 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:48 am

Looking to pick up another Kiesel. I"ve settled on the DC-600 with alder body, ebony THNN neck 14 in neck profile, with Floyd Rose tremolo, jumbo frets, 14 in radius, and pointed headstock. What I haven't nailed down are the pickups.

I spoke with Kiesel folks on the phone and they recommend the Beryllium set, however, I'm wondering if the M12SD and a Holdsworth would be a closer combination. Since the M12SD just came out its not in the Kiesel comparison video.

Thanks as always for the help in advance.

CanserDYI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Closest Kiesel Pickups to Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz

Postby CanserDYI » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:28 pm

I say worst case scenario, get the Berylliums and sell them for JB/Jazz set if they don't do what you need them to do. Bery's go very quickly on reverb.

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:37 pm

I'd go with M12 (bridge) and Beryllium (neck). Gets you that high-octane output from the treble pickup that you expect from a JB (only with more balls).

jayhawknavy02

Postby jayhawknavy02 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:59 pm

CanserDYI wrote:I say worst case scenario, get the Berylliums and sell them for JB/Jazz set if they don't do what you need them to do. Bery's go very quickly on reverb.

Gotcha! Would you go covered or uncovered on the bridge/neck or both?

Casual Madman wrote:I'd go with M12 (bridge) and Beryllium (neck). Gets you that high-octane output from the treble pickup that you expect from a JB (only with more balls).

Thanks! I haven’t seen many reviews or comparisons of the M12SD. Similar question is if you would go covered on the neck to get as close to possible for the Jazz.
Last edited by jayhawknavy02 on Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:00 pm

jayhawknavy02 wrote:Similar question is if you would go covered on the neck to get as close to possible for the Jazz.

I briefly owned a Jackson Dinky with a JB/Jazz set - both open-coil. Loved the tones from all 5 switch positions, but never loved the Floyd - I'm a hardtail guy. Killer pickups, though - the only ones I've heard that I liked better were the original Carvin M22s, I bought a first-gen one back in 1978 and have been looking for that fat, powerful tone again ever since.

That's why I'm excited about the M12SD - I haven't played one yet, but Ima gonna.

Texas64

Postby Texas64 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:39 pm

What's weird is I have a JB in two hardtails and love it - a Brian Moore and a Les Paul Custom. But every Floyd guitar I've tried a JB, with varied wood combinations, I didn't care for it at all. Was very mushy. I love the Berry's in my Aries. Working on a Floyd build right now with the Berrys - hope to hear from Chris this week.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:30 pm

Texas64 wrote:What's weird is I have a JB in two hardtails and love it - a Brian Moore and a Les Paul Custom. But every Floyd guitar I've tried a JB, with varied wood combinations, I didn't care for it at all. Was very mushy. I love the Berry's in my Aries. Working on a Floyd build right now with the Berrys - hope to hear from Chris this week.

FYI, Chris was out last week (not sure if he's back this week), so it may take him a while to catch up.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:38 pm

The old C22J neck and C22B bridge struck me as similar to the JB/Jazz combo. Not my thing, but I know that pickup combo was extremely popular. Check for used ones, and that should get you what you want.

As for modern ones? Honestly, I don't know. I'm not a Duncan fan at all.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

jayhawknavy02

Postby jayhawknavy02 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:06 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:The old C22J neck and C22B bridge struck me as similar to the JB/Jazz combo. Not my thing, but I know that pickup combo was extremely popular. Check for used ones, and that should get you what you want. As for modern ones? Honestly, I don't know. I'm not a Duncan fan at all.

Agreed. I had that pickup combo in a DC127 (Wilkinson) and CT3 (tune-o-matic) and wasn't a huge fan in either to be honest, but they were not bad either, I just wasn't blown away.

Cynical
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Cynical » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:50 am

If the M12SD is anything like the M22SD, it's probably not going to do what you want; the M22SD's closest relative in the Duncan line is probably the Pegasus (although the M22SD has *much* more output and will make an amp compress more as a result).

jayhawknavy02

Postby jayhawknavy02 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:50 pm

Deleted

relias7505
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby relias7505 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:21 am

I’d go with the M12SD and Beryllium in the neck or Holdsworth
My Kiesel/Carvin collection: ST300 (M22SD bridge, S60A middle, Twin Blade neck), SCB6 (S22B bridge, S22J neck), Bolt Classic (AP11's in all positions), SH550 (S22T in the neck and bridge), CS3 Goldtop (Beryllium bridge and Gambale neck), AC375, CL450 and CC275 12 String.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars