First Kiesel order - JBM5 bass in deep purple flame

Expecting some new gear from Kiesel Guitars? Post here!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick

caluke

First Kiesel order - JBM5 bass in deep purple flame

Postby caluke » Sat May 01, 2021 1:13 pm

I have an LTD B-5E 5 string bass, which is an ok instrument. My biggest problem is the low B string, which is kind of flubby and not very articulate. My band plays songs in drop A, and tuning down a step makes it even worse. So I was looking into multiscale bass options. After lots of research, I decided to go for a Kiesel.

I'm not a huge fan of most of the Kiesel bass body shapes (I don't like headless), but the JB just hits the spot. It's not "out there" looking like some of the other Kiesel basses, but it still looks more sleek and modern than a fender J bass, in my opinion. I also play multiple styles of music (drop A metal to musical theater pit stuff to jazz), so I wanted the ability to get that classic, passive sound. So again, the jazz-style single coils with the option to switch between active and passive seems perfect.

At first I was just going to go for a super simple, non-flashy build - basically all the standard options with a solid color alder body (I liked the British racing green with black pickguard and black hardware and black ebony fingerboard).

But then I thought, if I'm ordering a custom instrument, why not just go for something more interesting. I decided on deep purple with blackburst edges over a flame maple top (matte satin), and a maple fingerboard. Still nothing too crazy, there are dingwall combustions with a similar aesthetic, like below.

But I'm interested to see how this will turn out. Looking at the gallery images for deep purple finish, it seems to vary widely from extremely dark (almost black), to bright verging on pink. Also a lot of the examples of deep purple have the "california burst" which seems like kind of the opposite of blackburst edges. I guess we'll see in 12 - 18 weeks!

And if I hate it, well, I avoided any non-returnable options like the plague, so I could send it back and go with the green/black.

amispy
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: First Kiesel order - JBM5 bass in deep purple flame

Postby amispy » Mon May 03, 2021 6:33 am

Hello and welcome. Sounds like you ordered a nice bass. I don't have a deep purple, but I've heard they can be pretty dark in indoor lighting. Outside they're pretty purple.
AE185, 2 x A6H, AB5, Bolt, Cobalt 750T, DC200T, 2 x DC7X, D6H, 2 x D6X, JB200C, JH6, LB75, PB5, V220M, KV6X, 2 x V59K

caluke

Postby caluke » Tue May 04, 2021 12:40 pm

I'm hoping that it comes out something like this (but with flame maple top):

wickid
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Thu May 06, 2021 1:26 pm

caluke wrote:I'm hoping that it comes out something like this (but with flame maple top):

Look how much bright light that's under. I don't think it'll come out as bright as your 1st pic, but more like some form of very dark almost-black purple to this color depending on the light that's on it.
My purple quilt CT6 is that way - and the pix I have of it are drowned in flash.

A bigger pic:
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

Return to The Waiting Room