Zeus lives on Mount Olympus

Expecting some new gear from Kiesel Guitars? Post here!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, ChrisH, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick, peb

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Zeus lives on Mount Olympus

Postby MarshallTSL » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:20 pm

...but I live in hotels. Again (thank you COVID vaccines!).

And, I need a travel guitar.

As some of you guys know, I have an HH2, but I ordered it when they had just started making them and they used the JCUSTOM bridges, which, in my opinion, were not good enough and can't be replaced with newer Hipshot bridges.

So, on a trip to San Diego in June, I stole some time and went up to Escondido and ordered a Zeus 6x:

Z6X (Trem)
One-Piece Roasted Swamp Ash Body
Master Grade Quilt Maple Top
3 Piece Lam (Maple)
Gloss Desert Finish
Gloss Thin Trans Black Body
Roasted Maple Neck
Ebony F/B, MOP Blocks
Stainless Jumbo Frets
Compound Radius
Acoustic Saddles
Beryllium / Illusionist pickups

Here's the Desert Finish that captured my eye:

198824618_1757993051028391_1114550981802458958_n.png

And here's the link to Jeff's Instagram page with more photos:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAWHF_tH8-K/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.
Last edited by MarshallTSL on Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zeus 6x Desert Finish (on order), CS3x MIDI Candy Apple Red , Icon 5 Spalted Flamed Maple, Solo 6x Burl Walnut, Aries A6X Blue Hawaii Quilt Maple, Aries A6X Crimson Flamed Redwood, SH65 Master Grade Ziricote, TL60C Black Cherry Quilt, HH2 Claro Walnut, CT6 Deep Blue Quilt

CanserDYI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Zeus lives on Mount Olympus

Postby CanserDYI » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:34 pm

Woah. Woah. Woah. You really, really, need to NSFW this stuff man...some of us have kids running around here.

All jokes aside, my lord thats a top.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:04 pm

Can't wait to see it! I've been loving those roasted ash bodies, too. :drool:

helldorado
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:35 pm

That will look awesome. :D

And another example of a finish that essentially falls through the cracks because they only document it one time on social media. :( I don't remember ever seeing it before.

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MarshallTSL » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:58 am

helldorado wrote:That will look awesome. :D

And another example of a finish that essentially falls through the cracks because they only document it one time on social media. :( I don't remember ever seeing it before.

helldorado, Jeff's only done this finish once. I found it on his Instagram feed and was trying to figure out what would really work on a Zeus. Flock filled in the details on how it came about.

And, in order to minimize the potential color-contrast clash between the roasted ash body and this quilt maple-brown burst top, he suggested that they do a thin black semi-transparent finish on the body (including the bevel) to let the top just "pop." We're further setting off the body from the top with a thin maple slice. The whole thing will be gloss except for the neck.
Last edited by MarshallTSL on Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zeus 6x Desert Finish (on order), CS3x MIDI Candy Apple Red , Icon 5 Spalted Flamed Maple, Solo 6x Burl Walnut, Aries A6X Blue Hawaii Quilt Maple, Aries A6X Crimson Flamed Redwood, SH65 Master Grade Ziricote, TL60C Black Cherry Quilt, HH2 Claro Walnut, CT6 Deep Blue Quilt

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MarshallTSL » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:01 am

helldorado wrote:That will look awesome. :D

helldorado, Jeff's only done this finish once. I found it on his Instagram feed and was trying to figure out what would really work on a Zeus. Flock filled in the details on how it came about.

And, in order to minimize the potential color-contrast clash between the roasted ash body and this quilt maple-brown burst top, he suggested that they do a thin black semi-transparent finish on the body (including the bevel) to let the top just "pop." We're further setting off the body from the top with a thin maple slice. The whole thing will be gloss except for the neck.

helldorado
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:39 am

MarshallTSL wrote:
helldorado wrote:And another example of a finish that essentially falls through the cracks because they only document it one time on social media. :( I don't remember ever seeing it before.

Yeah, it's a good example of my gripes about how a large number of finishes that they'll gladly do for a customer aren't documented or even listed anywhere outside of social media. If you hadn't dug into Jeff's instagram page, it's possible that the finish would've been forgotten and never done again.

Finishes like this, monsterburst, all the variants of ash treatment, roasted bodies, splatter, gobstopper, sabre, candy, semi-chrome, fades, and a number of off-menu colors are only captured on social media. They don't do a good job of adding them to the gallery either.

Arctic, earth, venom, cotton candy, fire and california burst are only even mentioned on the K-Series model page and without photo examples, nowhere else. Select finishes only have a handful listed on the Jonny Hiland model page and nowhere else. I just find it mind-boggling that one of Kiesel's biggest strengths, their finishes, they make you run search high and low to try and learn just what they offer. :think:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:47 am

Don't forget Graphite, Transparent Orange, Flamingo pink, Highlighter Pink, Daisy, Summer ash, the "acoustic satin" finish that launched with the Zeus Acoustic, etc... :lol:

helldorado
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:44 am

spudmunkey wrote:Don't forget Graphite, Transparent Orange, Flamingo pink, Highlighter Pink, Daisy, Summer ash, the "acoustic satin" finish that launched with the Zeus Acoustic, etc... :lol:

:wall:

Hey, I included summer ash in "all the ash treatments," because you have antique, black out, rad and summer. :lol: I think graphite is technically viewed as one of the select finishes, like raspberry jam, but I'm not sure. Regardless, only aurora blue, white wash, scarlet red and whiskey brown are listed on the site.

Hilighter pink has been rebranded as hot pink, and it's on the builder. When it was highlighter pink, it was $100, now it's a free option. But tropic got taken off, even though it's still a no charge color option. Tropic coming off still doesn't make sense to me because it's a popular color.

I also forgot to mention two color crackle, denim, trans white, trans black, the various resin fills and patterns... :oops: I think darkshift was color shift + black sparkle?

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MarshallTSL » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:26 pm

helldorado and Spud, they have so many great finishes available that the choices can be overwhelming.

I think the dirty little secret is that it's overwhelming to them as well.

They don't really market them as competitive differentiators like PRS does. The finishes that get photographed are clear outliers, some of which end up on Jeff's page.

I wish we could get definitive samples of each of the new and avant garde finishes that are available, like all of the candies, the semi-chromes, the sabers, fades, etc.

I may have one more order in me this year, because I need a purple guitar.

But which one? Saber purple? Deep purple? Select Purple? Purple Drank? Candy Purple? Purple Arctic? Reverse Purple Arctic? Purple-to-Dark Purple Fade? Purple Denim?

helldorado wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:Don't forget Graphite, Transparent Orange, Flamingo pink, Highlighter Pink, Daisy, Summer ash, the "acoustic satin" finish that launched with the Zeus Acoustic, etc... :lol:

Hey, I included summer ash in "all the ash treatments," because you have antique, black out, rad and summer. :lol: I think graphite is technically viewed as one of the select finishes, like raspberry jam, but I'm not sure. Regardless, only aurora blue, white wash, scarlet red and whiskey brown are listed on the site.

Hilighter pink has been rebranded as hot pink, and it's on the builder. When it was highlighter pink, it was $100, now it's a free option. But tropic got taken off, even though it's still a no charge color option. Tropic coming off still doesn't make sense to me because it's a popular color.

I also forgot to mention two color crackle, denim, trans white, trans black, the various resin fills and patterns... :oops: I think darkshift was color shift + black sparkle?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:34 pm

MarshallTSL wrote:But which one? Saber purple? Deep purple? Select Purple? Purple Drank? Candy Purple? Purple Arctic? Reverse Purple Arctic? Purple-to-Dark Purple Fade? Purple Denim?

None of those. Grape Jelly Metallic, or Purple Metal Flake or Semi Chrome. :stir: :lol:

helldorado
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:33 am

spudmunkey wrote:
MarshallTSL wrote:But which one? Saber purple? Deep purple? Select Purple? Purple Drank? Candy Purple? Purple Arctic? Reverse Purple Arctic? Purple-to-Dark Purple Fade? Purple Denim?

None of those. Grape Jelly Metallic, or Purple Metal Flake or Semi Chrome. :stir: :lol:

You're both wrong, purple color shift! :lol:

And don't forget Purple Cali-burst, Black Dream or reverse Monster Burst.

56666793_1955520887903068_7485057880056397824_n.jpg

132991530_2842376669378950_1138357498218859244_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.

CanserDYI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby CanserDYI » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:46 am

God reverse monster burst is so sick...wonder why they dont make that a standard option for tops, as when i asked Chris about it, he quoted me 600 bucks for it.

helldorado
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:07 am

CanserDYI wrote:God reverse monster burst is so sick...wonder why they dont make that a standard option for tops, as when i asked Chris about it, he quoted me 600 bucks for it.

What I dislike about it is it's a top only finish. They either can't or won't do it to the body and neck because of how the purple is applied. So if you want a full wraparound color finish, you need to go with standard Monsterburst because they can do the aqua all the way around.

I priced out a K6H with monsterburst over flame, swamp ash body with AAT, and flame maple neck with denim to match the AAT. So you'd have that DTS look over the entire body and fully sprayed with trans aqua. Including a mastergrade PME board, it was $5000 total, and that's before the price increases.

So I bought an Aries that was about $3000 less. :lol:

Return to The Waiting Room