Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, ChrisH, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick, peb

helldorado
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby helldorado » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:32 pm

I like the inherent irony when people get defensive over the Delos getting labeled as a Kiesel-fied Strat copy, but then turn around and try to make #straturday a thing with their Delos. :lol:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:52 pm

Someone on the FB asked if I had ever done a photoshop of a reversed V220. The idea intrigued me, so I gave it a shot.

...and forgot to move the bottom strap button, and am too lazy to correct it. :lol:

V220 reversed.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.

helldorado
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:10 pm

That was the problem with your reversed Ultra V, you flipped the strings too, so there weren't any real obvious indicators it was a doctored photo, other than anybody with a clue recognizing it was one of Walter's many pointy guitars. :lol:

I was half tempted to post up the V / V220 mockups I had done a couple years ago, but people already seemed super confused by everything going on. :lol:

11872084_10153567903202296_6791398051697556478_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.

Sunset
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Sunset » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:02 pm

You two yahoos going back and forth re spermatozoa 12th fret inlays pretty much made my day. Laughing so hard the dog came in to make sure I was ok.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:53 pm

I've always just thought it looks like a windsock. a first version was even debut in the "Breeze" collection, further reinforcing my "windsock" mindset.

However, the heart sees what the heart wants, I guess. :wink: And the fact that they were on the "swallowtail" model doesn't help... :laughhard

01_swallowtail-large.jpg

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:07 am

Oh! Windsock! I see it now!
Probably always will from now on.

I always though tadpole. And I probably already stated that and forgot. Getting older.
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, Bolt T, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Sunset
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Sunset » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:19 am

spudmunkey wrote:I've always just thought it looks like a windsock. a first version was even debut in the "Breeze" collection, further reinforcing my "windsock" mindset.

However, the heart sees what the heart wants, I guess. :wink: And the fact that they were on the "swallowtail" model doesn't help... :laughhard

01_swallowtail-large.jpg

Fair point.

I once passed on a smoking deal on a used Aries that was perfectly spec’d for me. Except my heart(and aesthetic sensibilities) just couldn’t move past the splooge on the fretboard look. Inlay design can be really polarizing though. I recently picked up a PRS SE Zach Myers with the goofy birdies. It’s a shockingly fine instrument for $650 so I can overlook the stupid looking inlays. At least until the wife starts with the manhood jokes. :lol:

And I know not everyone feels this way, but after a few years of classical training I’ve found that although the side markers are useful, the fretboard markers are entirely redundant. All my Kiesel builds are inlay delete.

helldorado
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:02 am

Sunset wrote:Inlay design can be really polarizing though. I recently picked up a PRS SE Zach Myers with the goofy birdies. It’s a shockingly fine instrument for $650 so I can overlook the stupid looking inlays.

I'm always a bit surprised how many people dislike the PRS birds. I find myself to be picky as hell on everything aesthetic, but the birds have never been off-putting. And after having my PRS S2 with the dots, it somehow felt less "fancy" than my PRS SE with the birds.

Omsong
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:48 pm

I like the birds a h@ll of a lot more than the Kiesel spermizoa (or windsocks)... :lol:
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '20 Osiris 6, Deep Tiger's Eye Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+; '17 Fatboy;

helldorado
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:20 am

Between this and the pink cups, I'm not really feeling Kiesel's approach to branded merch or their flat rate $9.99 shipping for everything. So here are two examples of other companies with a similar offering to Kiesel's pick tin. All of these are Jim Dunlop Tortex picks, so the same base material, just different shapes, so a similar basic cost. I mean, when you're charging more than Gibson... :?

Sweetwater - Six 0.73mm custom branded picks in standard shape, with a custom branded tin. $6.99, free shipping.
2021-06-29_11-09-19.jpg

Gibson - Eight custom branded picks, your choice of 3 sizes, no tin. $9.99 + 5.99 shipping, for a total of $15.98
2021-06-29_11-09-01.jpg

Kiesel - Eight custom branded picks, 4 different sizes included, with a custom branded tin. $13.00 + 9.99 shipping for a total of $22.99
2021-06-29_11-09-35.jpg

Fundamentally, this is all marketing material. They could be writing off the expense and selling these at or under cost, or even including it with people's instruments. How cool would it be to get a pack of Kiesel picks (no tin) with your Kiesel? Ready to play straight out of the box!

I like me some Kiesel, but not what they're charging for cups and picks! :oops:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:55 am

I've seen variety 8 packs of Dunlop Tortex Flow for $9 or $10. They look like they are "on sale" on Amazon (have been for a while) for $6.99, but were $9 in April.
$15 for a custom logo-printed set and a tin? Eh...can't hate on it too much...but it should ship free, or no more than $5 (or have free shipping at, like, $50 or something). If I can ship a small concrete planter put for less than $10, they could certainly ship picks for less than that, even including the cost of a small box or even a padded envelope.

CanserDYI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby CanserDYI » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:52 am

Okay so...I like Kiesel stuff. I do. But I find it odd to be charging what they do for stuff like this.

It also makes me feel odd when people pay for fancy versions of kiesel's logo....like you paid them to make their advertisement more shiny on your guitar? Always found that odd. Not hating, but I'm not paying you extra for your own logo.

helldorado
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:38 pm

spudmunkey wrote:I've seen variety 8 packs of Dunlop Tortex Flow for $9 or $10. They look like they are "on sale" on Amazon (have been for a while) for $6.99, but were $9 in April.
$15 for a custom logo-printed set and a tin? Eh...can't hate on it too much...but it should ship free, or no more than $5 (or have free shipping at, like, $50 or something). If I can ship a small concrete planter put for less than $10, they could certainly ship picks for less than that, even including the cost of a small box or even a padded envelope.

Sweetwater has a 12 pack of single size Tortex Flow picks for $3.99. So you could get the 4 sizes Kiesel offers, but a full 48 of them, for $16 + tax. I don't think the price of the picks + tin by itself is really out of line, but like you said, when you add in shipping, then it gets a bit ridiculous. Like $15 total with shipping would be great. It literally costs $3.85 with USPS commercial rates to send a half pound, 6x6x6 inch cube package across country.

I checked out Dunlop's site and they have a wide range of pick tins, from like $7 to $13 in cost depending on the design, and their base shipping is almost $9. So Kiesel has some company in that price range. :lol:

CanserDYI wrote:Okay so...I like Kiesel stuff. I do. But I find it odd to be charging what they do for stuff like this.

It also makes me feel odd when people pay for fancy versions of kiesel's logo....like you paid them to make their advertisement more shiny on your guitar? Always found that odd. Not hating, but I'm not paying you extra for your own logo.

Same, I still haven't don't a fancy logo. Though aesthetically, I would like a white logo with the black drop shadow on a white guitar, or a black w/ white shadow on a black guitar. But I still have a bit of a hesitancy to spend $20-30 for the privilege. I had the same issue with their $20 straplock charge when you can buy straplocks for less than that. :? But on the flip side, what they charge for things like abalone knobs or white pearl tuners is really good. It seems all very random sometimes.

But some folk will gladly pay for anything Kiesel branded. Seeing how some folks have spent a significant amount of money to adorn themselves with extra Kiesel logos, it almost feels a little bit exploitative of that group. It makes me worry that this is the stuff that doesn't leave a good taste in the mouth of new customers or casual fans.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:59 pm

I don't mind the color of the cup in question, but felt the material (plastic) was a bit off; glass would much have been preferred, and I would've bought one in that case.

Flow picks aren't bad; actually one of the few full-size types that I like, and their ultra-thick one is a riot to mess around with. I agree, though, that the pricing seems off, especially when combined with the shipping. I'll pass on this one, too..
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:12 am

I've bought two batches of 100 picks from this outfit, and will buy from them again without question:

https://www.customguitarpicks.com.au/

They've had to raise their shipping since the Pandemic so I'm not sure what it is now, but I got my last batch of 100, with custom graphic, plus a pick tin with another custom graphic, plus shipping, for less than USD 60.00 - totally happy. You can't hardly buy generic picks for $.60 each at Guitar Center.

helldorado
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:11 pm

Casual Madman wrote:You can't hardly buy generic picks for $.60 each at Guitar Center.

This is primarily why I get my picks from Sweetwater. 72 packs of Dunlops are usually $15-18 a pop and Claytons are $3 for a 12 pack.

They're super awesome about returns too. I bought some Dunlop Tortex Flows, hated them, and they still took back the open package, letting me exchange for the pitch black Tortex standards.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:42 pm

I don't actually remember if I've bought picks in the last 20 years. :lol:

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:11 pm

Most of mine still say Carvin if that tells you anything . . . :think:

Bought a boatload prolly 15 years ago.

Then, I remember one of my ridiculously expensive Gibbies came with free picks . . . :roll:

Almost felt insulted. Almost . . . Think that was a Sweetwater customer service exclusive though, not Gibson.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:49 pm

Casual Madman wrote:I've bought two batches of 100 picks from this outfit, and will buy from them again without question:

https://www.customguitarpicks.com.au/

They've had to raise their shipping since the Pandemic so I'm not sure what it is now, but I got my last batch of 100, with custom graphic, plus a pick tin with another custom graphic, plus shipping, for less than USD 60.00 - totally happy. You can't hardly buy generic picks for $.60 each at Guitar Center.

About a year ago, I bought a 100 pack of green D'Addario "nylpro plus" picks. Basically glass-filled nylon in between a Jazz III and Jazz XL. Good picks, hard to lose, grip well, and once they do wear in, they take forever to wear out. Nice and bright, too. Once those wear out I might give that link you mentioned a look. I think I have about 90 to go.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:57 pm

'Member when the Delos was the Del Mar for about a day? :lol:

Return to The Backstage Lounge