General Technical Discussion

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, ChrisH, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick, peb

kdawg
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Pickup swap and possible pot/cap upgrades

Postby kdawg » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:17 pm

Hey,

I recently bought a lightly used '20 HD6X (fifth Kiesel/Carvin, 1st used one). It has HSS configuration. The singles are Mark singles, which are my favorite singles to date. I was very surprised by this. The humbucker is just listed as Hum Br, which I'm guessing is the Beryllium. In any case, I do not like it at all. I want to install a Pearly Gates in the bridge and thought I'd check here and find out if the electronics are worth upgrading.

Also, I don't like the taper on the volume pot. It goes from 0 to 10 immediately. What would I look to replace this with? I really know nothing about this stuff, other than I know how to solder and am not afraid to do so. I just want to make sure that if I switch the pot out, my volume knob will fit on the new pot. Is there anything else worth swapping while I have it open?

I did read the other thread about a pickup swap but the suggestions were for a HH guitar, so am guessing they wouldn't apply to mine.

helldorado
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Pickup swap and possible pot/cap upgrades

Postby helldorado » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:04 pm

I've never seen the backside of a HD pickguard, so I don't know what kind of clearance they have, but Kiesel uses mini-Alpha pots across the board because some models do require the smaller pot to fit their tight cavity clearance. They're not the highest quality pot available on the market, so there is an argument to upgrading your wiring harness when you go to upgrade your pickups.

There are two types of tapers, audio and linear which control how a pot responds. I would recommend doing a little reading on pots and wiring to get familiar with the various options, understanding the types of pots, values, capacitors, etc... Many pickup manufacturers keep pretty robust articles on all that so Fralin, Seymour Duncan, and other all have a lot of info on the topic with wiring guides.

https://www.fralinpickups.com/2017/03/0 ... -pots-101/

If you are comfortable soldering, that's half the battle. The rest is mostly knowing that every manufacturers uses their wiring colors differently, so a Seymour Duncan pickup, the wire colors are not equal to the matching colors on the Kiesel pickups. Just because they both use black, white, red and green, they're not the same wires! :-)

Luckily, all that is well documented too.

https://madhatterguitarproducts.com/pag ... references

So your Pearly Gates black wire = the Kiesel red wire, and the Pearly Gates red wire = the Kiesel green wire, etc... From there it's just disconnecting the old parts, and replacing them with the new parts wired the same way. So if you changed your volume pot, you would keep the new one wired exactly the same as the old, easy peasy.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:12 pm

As for making sure the knobs fit, what are the specs of the shaft Kiesel uses?

kdawg
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby kdawg » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:44 pm

helldorado wrote:So your Pearly Gates black wire = the Kiesel red wire, and the Pearly Gates red wire = the Kiesel green wire, etc... From there it's just disconnecting the old parts, and replacing them with the new parts wired the same way. So if you changed your volume pot, you would keep the new one wired exactly the same as the old, easy peasy.

All good info. I'll do a little research before I buy my new pups. I'm still not 100% on those exact ones, however the concept is still the same. Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated.

kdawg
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby kdawg » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:44 pm

spudmunkey wrote:As for making sure the knobs fit, what are the specs of the shaft Kiesel uses?

I guess I'll be looking that up as well. Thanks.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:51 pm

kdawg wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:As for making sure the knobs fit, what are the specs of the shaft Kiesel uses?

I know it's a smooth/solid shaft, but don't know if they come in different sizes... :think:

helldorado
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby helldorado » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:49 pm

spudmunkey wrote:I know it's a smooth/solid shaft, but don't know if they come in different sizes... :think:

Are we still talking pots? :lol:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:51 pm

helldorado wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:I know it's a smooth/solid shaft, but don't know if they come in different sizes... :think:

Are we still talking pots? :lol:

Steady, gentlemen.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.

wickid
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:47 am

kdawg wrote:

This is info from a looong while back when I was switching to Qparts knobs (for aesthetics),
but the shafts are 6mm and NOT 1/4". Or at least they were at 1 time.
Maybe the parts link from this site (if that's still there) has the scoop?

Yup -

Volume control, linear 500k with extra smooth action. 6mm dia. shaft.

https://www.kieselguitars.com/products/P1

Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

Return to Tech Talk